• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What makes a bunny popular?

Bex

Warren Scout
I guess this is really a question for rescues, rehomers or maybe even breeders (does the forum have any?). But I was wondering since its pretty much a taken that some rabbits are slightly unpopular when it comes to rehoming (like elderly ones, agoutis, REWs etc.) I wondered if there was any patterns regarding what made a popular bunny that is easy to rehome. Is it purely a case of not being an old, REW etc? or is there something more. For instance I have heard that lops are more popular than regular earred bunnies, just wondering if there really is any truth in the rumours...

Lops I would say are a lot more popular, everyone that calls me wants lops :?

SOAD said:

I have heard several people say that. I have also heard loads say they dont like Rexes :shock: :cry:

I love Agoutis and REWs !!

Janex

It makes me so mad when people judge bunnies solely on their looks like this. :evil:

I'm not a rescuer or rehomer but I've no doubt that the 'prettier' ones will have less trouble finding a home than the ones judged to be less attractive.

I think Rosie had been passed over at the rescue by people wanting something 'cuter' - but it was their loss as she is the most adorable, affectionate bun I could ever imagine. :love:

I suppose we are a society driven by 'looks' and this sadly applies to buns as well. :(

Jack's-Jane said:
SOAD said:

I have heard several people say that. I have also heard loads say they dont like Rexes :shock: :cry:

Janex

That's really interesting, I've always thought rexes were very popular, maybe this forum has been clouding my image of the real world :lol:

Out of curiosity are long haired bunnies easy to rehome or are alot of people put off by the grooming?

I love agoutis, blacks and PEWs - all the unpopular ones! But I do also love the pretty 'popular' sort too - would absolutely love a Dutch one day.

I have three agoutis that I cant rehome. I dont know why, they are the cutest babies ever!

I have to admit, im not a Rex fan

***runs for cover*********

ooh i would love a rex one day - a black one especially! Someone has one in their sig and I swoon over it!
I also like the picture of someone's bunnies - the beatles! aaah!

i like personality above everything- and thats not necessarily a quiet gentle bunn, I like the fiesty ones too. The only bunn I have ever chosen was Rowan and he was a gorgeous rex with the most wonderful personality :love: :cry: They'll never be another Rowan :cry:

Rabbers I fostered the Beatles before Chloe, their Mum adopted them :D

Flo said:
I have three agoutis that I cant rehome. I dont know why, they are the cutest babies ever!

I have to admit, im not a Rex fan

***runs for cover*********

Haha no need for that, I'm not particulary fond of lops, we are all entitled to our own opinions! :D Although have you ever petted a rexy bun?? OMG the nicest thing in the world! :love:

Ok, back to the topic here, I love love love black rabbits, the prettiest of all IMO. And I love the REWs too (I have a black and a REW). But I can see why some people don't like them, its just such a shame. :cry:

I have a chinchilla lionhead too, I'd imagine chinchilla isn't very popular either?

Yes, it was nice..But I prefer my nice Loppys!

I don't know why people don't like black bunnies. To be fair, they photograph horribly, but I swear nothing is cuter than my Fidget in the fur! And she's just a "plain", small, up eared black rabbit! To see a REW in a photo, I admittedly wouldn't think it was as cute as some others in a photograph (just as black bunnies don't photograph well), but it wouldn't put me off rehoming one little bit! I don't know why people don't like agoutis... I've heard people say they look like wild buns though...

There are general precepts of what is "cute" or attractive that extend to people and animals. Lops are small and rounded, with the round face and comparative big eyes. They look like babies, which is why a lot of people like them I think.

I don't get why people are so specific about what they want though. I'm a sucker for a sob story too :lol: and I like a bunny that looks like it has character! Gimme personality any day!

Jack's-Jane said:
SOAD said:

Janex

Really :shock: I thought rexes were really popular too!

I have an Agouti and REW and I think they are the most beautiful little bunnies in the whole wide world :love:

When I got Scarlett the girl said she was freaky and her pink eyes made her look horrible :evil: :roll: Stupid girl! Scarlett has the most amazing personality!

It is nice to see that many people love black bunnys :D

The cutest bunnys are those who previously had a bad live - they are most thankful to friendly owners.

Back