• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anybody here have piggies and bunnies living together?

Bex

Warren Scout
I know it's usually a big no no but I was browsing a rescue site the other day and found that a couple of places had bonded piggy/bunny couples.

I'm not thinking about doing this or anything I just wondered if anybody had any odd couples? :lol:

I don't, but I know of a rescue that still does this. It's not the done thing these days, I think all the posters on here don't although not sure about Helen (HS), but she has a big enclosure with them in. :D

I kept Holly n Harri together and they were inseprable :) but Holly doesn't accept guinea pigs any more, Basil does.

Buttons&Thumper does successfully, but she has a large shed with hidey holes for the piggies

Mine don't live together but cohabit close together and both seem interested in each other in a friendly way but I've never tried them together, I'd be too scared of the piggies getting hurt

now that i think about it, my herd of boars, hate the rabbits, holly hates the guinea pigs but basil and the girls cuddle up together :)

I took in a bun and a guinea, the guinea loved the bun, the bun couldn't give a bleep about the guinea and somehow her leg got broken (I was on holiday!) I wouldn't ever put them together by choice, but these two had been together when I took them. I quickly found the guinea a guinea friend and the bun was happier having his own space.

I always think it's like putting us with a chimpanzee, similar and we'd probably snuggle up but we can't communicate with them, and could be killed by our companion

However if the enclosure is big enough with lots of hidey holes I think there are always exceptions to the rule

My guineas accidently escaped from their run today in the garden and Lily (my rabbit) was chasing them and growling at them :shock: Yet she's fine with them when they are in their run she sniffs them through the mesh. I would never put them all together.

kayjay said:
I always think it's like putting us with a chimpanzee, similar and we'd probably snuggle up but we can't communicate with them, and could be killed by our companion

Fantastic comparison! Will be using that the next time some idiot comes into the rescue and does the 'well we had them together before and they were fine' thing :lol:

SOAD said:
I don't, but I know of a rescue that still does this. It's not the done thing these days, I think all the posters on here don't although not sure about Helen (HS), but she has a big enclosure with them in. :D

Hi, I took advice from the forum, and split up the bunnies and piggies last year. The piggies had a hutch and access to their own run during the day. Now, of course, there's only scruffy. The bunnies are certainly happier.

I have my piggies in a big C&C cage in Gus's room but he cant get in with them. I must admit that he is quite keen on them especially Florrie pig but all they do is sniff each other through the bars and he'll occasionally lick them. I think he's probably more interested in their food :lol:

Once Lola comes close though he'll leave the piggies alone and go over to her.

I dont have a spare room for the piggies but I dont mind Gus being near them as he's very gentle. But I certainly wouldnt let them live together - watching how daft he can be and how much he bangs around I can see how easy it would be for him to hurt them accidentally.

one of the guinea pigs I have used to be housed with a rabbit before we got him and the previous owners had to separate them as the rabbit had nibbled off the ear tips of the pig. The pig does have the ear holes but no ear flaps, the damage is healed and the pig doesn't seem any worse, he is a happy pig and loves to snuggle, and I have to say has excellent hearing, whenever he hears us open the house door he whistles and squeeks for attention and gets the other 3 pigs in the cage below him going too so whenever we open our door we open it to a chorus of squeaks from the pigs. I have had pigs and rabbits together before myself and had to separate them because the pig got scurvy although I was mixing pig and rabbit food together and feeding the pig orange but the rabbits were also eating what the pig should have been eating.

A lady I met through freecycle last week was telling me how one day she found her guinea pig completely flat- her rabbit had killed it :(

Back