• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Natural Parasite Control - what do you think?

Caz

Mama Doe
http://www.verm-x.com/rabbits.htm

Since getting the chickens last weekend I have been researching into their care and a lot of chicken people worm their chickens using products from the company above - they have just bought out a new range for rabbits...

So what do you think - better than Panacur rabbit 9 day paste as a general preventative i.e. being "natural" thereby saving Panacur sensitivity for a real EC infection or would you rather use something that has actual data on parasite reduction from trials?

Caz

P.S. Don't poo-poo it straight off remember garlic is a good preventative for fleas in dogs (small doses) and certain herbs have been shown to be anti-parastitc (many modern day medicines are based on compounds purified from plants).

Very interesting! I think it would be so much more natural but dont know if it would work or how to find out :?

Sounds quite good - more about prevention rather than treatment. Doubt I would be able to get my piggies to eat them - they are so fussy! The bunnies would eat anything pellet shaped though

I have been doing a bit more research apparently they have data showing it is effective in preventing infection using stool samples from horses (what it was originally produced for) but if they try to claim it has medicinal properties they have to adhere to strict medical guidelines, have it registered as a medicine and with the FDC and that costs a bomb so they can only call it a food additive.

That doesn't sound as dodgy as you think my FIL had a similar thing happen with a product his company developed - they have to call it a feed additive even though it kills Salmonella naturally they can't market it as a treatment for salmonella in chickens.

Caz

Back