• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

babies eyes

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, its day 12 for the babies and out of the 6 of them one has opened one eye and the rest are still all shut. I have been told that sometimes the babies need help opening their eyes my question is when do I intervene? If I do need to help them what do I use? Many thanks.
Sally x

I am no expert but I would think you need to bathe the kits eyes with cooled boiled water to try to get them to open.
Hopefully someone more experienced with kits will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong

Janex

Hi, Jane, thats what I thought as well but I wasn't sure. I wasn't sure when to do it. One of the kits just has one eye open so I guess I should try it soon, I just dont know whether to do all of them yet or leave them.
Sally x

I have read that they need to be opened by day 14 else they can have permenant eye problems. I opened three of ours on day 14 (most only had one eye open) using cotton buds dipped in warm water to gently loosen the lids and carfully open them once the wayter had soaked the residue away.

I would give it another couple of days, when the majority have one or both eyes open that is when you need to be sure the others are open too. Cooled boiled water and an earbud is fine, make the eye quite wet and once it soaks in a little you will be able to gently ease them open. You might have to repeat for a few days.

Louisa

I went ahead and gently used cooled boiled water and a cotton bud, all eyes are now open. I will put some pics on later.
Sally x

Back