• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you reccomend?

Amsy1991

Mama Doe
...spaying 2 girlie guinea pigs?

My vet suggested it.But i need to know everything about it.IE risks,advantages,disadvantages,costs ect

Pear and Misty are 2 years old and have had mites.Long haired.(just some info incase its needed)

Ax

I have 2 female guineas which are not neutered and 1 male that is. I dont think Female guineas are prone to cancer like female buns, but dont quote me.

Maybe Tracey or Cheryl will know more

I know male guinea pigs - boars are now routinely neutered and its quite a simple operation but I have never heard of sows being spayed. Ive had boars neutered at my vets.

I think, as has been suggested, they aren't prone to cancers, and also because operations are so much more risky on pigs that its generally not recommended...but again, don't quote me.

If its cause they are fighting, I'm afriad I'm not too certain neutering will help, as its the same with boars, it does little to calm hormones, just stops them breeding....hope I'm wrong hun, didn't know they'd been fighting! :(

Female guineas are not routinely spayed except for ovarian cysts to my knowledge. Far easier to neuter males and this is said to be the best bond, ie female and neutered male

Why did your vet suggest it?

thats very true my male Guinea acts the same as he did when he still had his bits, it dosent calm hormones neutering :D

Tracy (rngpwelfare) neuteres all female pigs before rehoming. If my vet had time to do it (he has enough to do with neutering all the bunnies at the moment :shock: ) I would probably also get females neutered. Females are prone to ovarian cysts and although not usually life threatening they can cause other problems. I have had a few piggies spayed now, most recently 2 of my satin residents because they had both developed cysts in their uterus (rare apparantly :shock: ). I have never lost a piggy during a neutering op and dont have any reservations about getting it done.

Back