• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig help

islalee

Warren Scout
Hey has anyone got any idears what is wrong with this animal, this is NOT my pet, if it was I wouldn't be taking pics of it I'd be at the vets, however the owner has decided to take pics instead....

gpig.jpg

poor piggy :(

it looks like some kind of fungal infection or mite infestation

either way the owner needs to take the poor thing to the vets straight away as excessive scratching (brought on by this kind of thing) can lead to piggies having a heart attack from the stress

it must be in agony :(

Thats what I think, but owner is poor, and has many g pigs, and says she is too young to registra at the vets, and her parents dont believe in vet care. wht she has so many pets is beond me, but she does. I also think she lives a far way from the vets so would have to walk there.

oh dear if this is the case why have any pets at all if they can not afford treatment when they get ill. :( if this piggie doesnt get evt attention soon heaven knows what will happen :cry:

Yup, i know. We are trying to get it sorted, i might be registring at her vets! then she goes in as me, that'll work.

tell her it's an offence not to treat a sick animal - it might scare her into action

poor piggy, that looks so sore :(

im with kayjay on that one - being poor, being too young - they are all excuses. the piggy needs to see a vet and if her parents wont pay/dont believe in seeing vets then she shouldnt have the piggies.

that is not going to clear up - it can only get worse and if it does get worse, then the vet bills will only be bigger if the piggy finally gets taken to the vets.

i know i'm on a rant here but why do people continue to get animals which they cant afford to keep? its not your fault islalee but can you please try to get your friend to understand that in the piggy's best interests it needs to see a vet soon.

Trust me i am trying as hard as i can, she is trying to get rid of some of her pets as she has too many to cope with, but i have no idear why she got to the number she has, why would her perents let her. It really needs the vet now.

It's illegal now not to get a sick animal to a vet.

I'd probably call the RSPCA. Maybe that sounds harsh but both the owner and the animals will be better off.

Her parents don't believe in vet care? What the hell? If they had that on their back they'd be off to the doctor in a crack :roll: .

Shes just told me that she is planning to use some lavenda and myrth lotino from some guinea pig website, ive pointed out that it has to be used in connection with another of their products, is more a preventative then a cure, and the pig needs a pain killer and stronger meds.

Piggies are also prone to cysts and this look slike it could well be one, the hole being where the brown string of thick gunk oozes out, does it feel hard under the skin?
These often get infected and may need to be surgically removed. Some pigs are prone to continually getting them appear throughout their life. Def needs a vet, keep hassling her :wink:
If money is an issue is there a pdsa or similar charity that could see the piggie if the owners are on benefit and can prove low income?

Thats a terribl;e state for the poor piggy to be in.It could be the other symptoms people have pointed out but,is this piggy kept alone or with other.They may be fighting.It doesn't look like that type of wound but it would be.

When Pearl and misty had mites i posted a thread on a guinea pig forum.http://wheekers.proboards32.com/index.cgi?board=pighealth&action=display&thread=1171309902&page=1 My parents(before i had posted)were not going to take them to the vets as they said they would get better. :shock: People posted about how animal welfare trusts could help.And they did help us.Suggest contacting one of them to your friends parents.

Ax

I actually dont think her parents will help at all, it is down to her, but she can do something about it. The piggy will be going to the vets. I'm gonna keep trying to get her to rehome some of them, because in the past she has been unable to provide the basics for them, including hay... And I think thats pretty awful. I hope this problem will be sorted out and she will find suitable homes for at least half her pets, or give them to a rescue centre.

I'm worried now, as I haven't herd from her, I wanted to get my point across that it needs the vet without upsetting her, as I knew that she'd stop contacting me, and now I think thats whats happened. Hopefully she will have decided to take my advice though.

To be honest i would be more worried about the guinea pig, than upsetting a friend about sounding to harsh! but thats me

Vets tomorrow at 9.50am, yay! I know the piggy needs it now, but tomorrow morning is better then nothing! I'm very happy, as I dont think she would have considered the vets with out me influence (without meaning to sound big headed)!!!

Back