• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twinkle spay: care questions

touie

Wise Old Thumper
it's been so long since I've had one done that I've forgotton...

how long does she need to be kept indoors for if the op goes well

should she be cage bound or would it be ok for her to have some time out of the cage if she's wanting to come out?

mm i gotta do this soon too..
if i remeber right keep her caged for a couple of days..kibbles was in for a week as she had a sateliite dish on too cos she wouldnt stop trying to remove her stitches!

i got bif a fortnight after shed been speyed so i cant say...
come on folks freshen our memories! :wink:

i think just indoors for a night or two depending on recovery.

When Audrey was done I let her out if she wanted to but I took the ramp out of her cage and didnt let her do anything too energetic.

i don't think i have ever had a normal spay eyt so i can't really comment, but i would always go inside for a few day 2-3 depeding on recovery and cage bound for at least 24 hours again though depending on recovery

thanks everyone :D My sons insisted she stay in his room as she's now his 'special bunny' ! I hope it's ok in there, at least it's away from fudge and North facing so won't get too hot!

Pippa was spayed on Tuesday and was back to 'normal' by Friday, Weds and Thurs were quiet days and getting back to eating normally

Gemma's bunny, Honey, didn't even seem to notice she'd had an operation - eating normal, moving normal etc etc, it was unbelievable, if it wasn't for the scar on her tummy I wouldn't have believed she'd had it done (and the same vet did her and Pippa)

thats encouraging. They said she was doing really well too so hopefully she won't be too out of sorts this evening! :D

touie said:
it's been so long since I've had one done that I've forgotton...

how long does she need to be kept indoors for if the op goes well

should she be cage bound or would it be ok for her to have some time out of the cage if she's wanting to come out?

At least 7 to 14 days for observation and make sure she doesn't lick the wound

2) she can't jump or else it stretch the stitch, so believe it or not, cage is not a bad idea.

Back