• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You either take my rabbit or it's put to sleep today.

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
I am ******* fuming, this is the call I just had....

The lady said she's got back from university to her home in shrewsbury and found her bunny hadn't been cared for, she'd taken it to the vets last night and it was in a bad way with teeth, she said that it would need on going treatment and she couldn't afford it and she was going back to uni, she couldn't expect her family to take care of it. So if I couldn't take it she would be pts today. So I said you're basically asking me to pay for the treatment or you're having having bunny put to sleep today? and as cool as a cucumber she said yes! I was so mad I was literally seeing dancing lights in front of my eyes. I was like can I call you back, but she kept talking. I was thinking if you don't let me get off the phone now I am going to call you every name under the sun. I asked her if I could call her vets, she gave me number and I talked to the receptionist, who was very nice she said she wasn't suppose to talk to me about it but being as I was trying to make a decision on buns life, she did.

She read me the notes and it was awful, teeth have curled into buns mouth, tear ducts are blocked and infected, conjunctivitis in eyes, severely underweight and abscesses. She said the vet could treat but it was going to be on going treatment and she'd told him she couldn't afford it so the only option was to put to sleep. I told them to treat bunny today and I'll collect bunny as soon as I can and continue the treatment.

She said basically this bunny hasn't just got like this, she said that the girl said she just found her bunny like this, but they said this is severe neglect and bunny has been like this well before Christmas and there is no way someone could of missed it. I am so angry, why do people do it.

I've rang Bryn and told him, I was like do you mind if we take bunny he was like Shrewsbury will be a nice drive out. I was like you don't mind and he was like would it make any difference if I did, but he was laughing so I know he don't mind, bless him.

So don't know if I'll ever be able to find bunny home when treated and sorted out, or whether miss is another bunny in a mess dumped on me. I mean for gods sake I am just a normal person, why do people put me in this position.

The bunny is having op today at this ladies vets :cry:

Sadly this will be something you will have to deal with quite often.....it's harder when the owner is standing in front of you as you then have to fight the urge to hit them! :evil:

Sending healing vibes to this bunny..lucky you were there to rescue it.

OMG :( :( :cry: :cry: ... that is awful..
I'm not that far away from Shewsbury maybe 35 minutes if you need any help let me know..

Thats appalling, i couldnt keep my cool. Id take the bunny and then go off on one! Some people ....... grrrrrrrrrrrr . Sorry... im just upset for you. :( Hope the bun gets well. your a good person x

Tree I would report to the RSPCA. Take detailed photos as soon as you can and get the vet's notes, or get them to write a report. I know the RSPCA aren't up to much but give it a go as she should pay for what she's done. If you can get the girl to sign the bunny over to you, particularly if she signs notes which detail what is wrong with the bun, all the better.

Well done Tree for taking the poor bunny. It is a horrible position for them to put you in but at least you will be able to do what is best for the poor creature.

We've had this sort of thing before and we've telephoned the RSPCA and they don't want to know sadly.

Well done for rescuing the bunny, I'm sure it will now find out what true love and care is, thank goodness you have got it

what a :censored: :censored:

How can people live with themselves?!

Tree you are an angel for taking this bunny in.

Sending all the vibes in the world for this poor bunny (and your bank account) xx

Im sorry but that is disgusting!! I cannot believe she had a rabbit just to leave it with someone else when she went away to uni who couldnt look after it!! Surely she must have seen her rabbit in the last few months and it wasn't a surprise this week the state the poor bunny was in!! I took on a parrot a few weeks ago and I really wanted to home her, but as I know I am going away for 2 weeks later this year I made sure with my parents, who will be looking after all my pets whilst away, if they minded looking after another!! If they had said they didn't feel comfortable looking after her then I certainly wouldn't have got her as I want to be sure my pets are looked after when I go away. I would be even worse if I had to leave them for any longer!!

This is Tree not Carys

My computer is broke and Carys is away from her desk so I could nip on here.

Right I'm sending this link to Lucy hp (RSPCA Walsal) and asking her for the best course of action (thanks Nix :thumb:) to be honest I never thought about reporting it surely the vets should of done that? Anyway I've got vets number and her name etc so hopefully they can help if I send the details with the link. I am still so furious :evil: . I'll mail from Carys :oops:

Thanks for help and support guys, I'll let you know outcome.

snowy said:
We've had this sort of thing before and we've telephoned the RSPCA and they don't want to know sadly.

so does that mean anyone can treat their rabbits (or not treat them) and just get away with it, I thought cruelty to animals was illegal or is that just dogs and cats they care about? And what's so maddening is this girl could go out tomorrow and buy another one :twisted:

Well done Tree, I hope the bunny pulls through

well done for taking poor bunny in

i thought with the animal welfare bill that you had to provide vetinary treatment if your animal was suffering? i would report her to the rspca if i were you - the stupid stupid selfish woman that she is.

Back