• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet Stressed Bun

MissKittie

New Kit
Hi :wave:
Just recently found this forum, hoping someone can help and that I've put this into the right section.

My rabbit Merlin (male, 6 and 1/2 yrs old) had his myxi jab yesterday and is due for his VHD in a fortnight. To cut a rather long and stressful story short, he got VERY distressed at the vets last night. He's always disliked the vet as he's had a few bad experiences over the years with them and I know he doesn't like the other animal smells and noises of the waiting room. He's usually visibly scared but generally well behaved. Last night I was scared he'd hurt himself he went into such a panic in the examining room. The vet himself was lovely and cut the examination short saying he'd do the health check at the next appt instead in two weeks.

What I'd like to know is how can I make poor Merlin less distressed for next time? Any suggestions? I'm scared he'll hurt himself and at his oldish age I'd really like the vet to be able to check him over more thoroughly than a stressed Merlin will allow. I've heard rescue remedy can be used on animals, anyone know if this is true?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Fingers crossed someone will be able to help.

-Katie x

Hello :wave:

Would your Vet do a home visit?

Or you could ask for an appointment at the very end of a clinic so as there will be fewer other animals about.

What sort of carrier do you transport Merlin in? If it's too big or too open that may make him go into 'panic mode' even more.

Off to have a look at your pics now!!

Janex :)

I have the same problem with Inky (2 and a 1/2). He hates me picking him up, let alone anyone else!

I have a few strategies that I use that might help.

I now use a mesh carrier, it is more enclosed and softer. The best bit is that it opens at the top so the vet can do things like vaccinations without picking him up.

If you have two bunnies, take both, they keep each other a bit calmer.

If you can, get your appointment either early or late in the surgery, that way there are fewer scary animals around.

If it is busy in the waiting room or noisy, I tell the receptionist that I'll wait in the car park (stand outside the car, with your rabbits in it but keep the door open if it is warm), they call me in from the door.

Ask the vet to examine him on the floor. My vet did this when Inky broke his toe, I warned him that he would go bananas and the got him out of the carrier on the floor.

I hope these help.

Yup, rescue remedy can be used with rabbits, put a couple of drops in the drinking water a few hours before you go to the vets, or the night before if it's an early appointment. I always used to use rescue remedy with my rabbit before long car journeys and it really did seem to help her. Could you take your bunnies favourite treat to the vets and give it to him as soon as he gets out of his carrier? Good luck with the next appointment.

Thanks for all the advice guys :thumb: I'll definitely try a few of them out. I like the idea of waiting in the car, I was worried about holding people up but to be honest I'd rather that than bunny in the state he was in yesterday!

Thank you again :)

Back