• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pairs or groups?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering what you guys think :D Do you think its best to have a pair of bunnies living together or a group of three or more :?:

I know the main thing is that they have company and that a pair has that, just wondering if anyone thinks a group works better than a pair :D

Well from my experience, I would have to say pairs work better than groups.

Did have 2 pairs then made 1 group which was a big mistake so had to work very hard to getting them back to 2 pairs again!.

I so prefer having a big group, yes it's harder to get housing for them but its far more natural for them.

I have one pair that will never be bonded into a group, they're far to happy and settled by themselves

I did have a group of 3 does, until 2 fell out with 1, and 2 operations, a long course of abx and a very poorly bank account later.....I now have 2 pairs and 2 singles who will be paired up when we move house :D

I'd love a group but Moonshine is so bossy and jealous I don't think she'd ever accept another bun. She can't accept anything new without giving Flopsy some grief!! Example, We picked up a clothes rail off Freecycle and put it in the dining room til we move and Moonshine went barmy, glaring at it, humping Flopsy and chasing her!!! And then spent an hour laid next to it, i think in case it tried anything funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicola

TheGaffer said:
I did have a group of 3 does, until 2 fell out with 1, and 2 operations, a long course of abx and a very poorly bank account later.....I now have 2 pairs and 2 singles who will be paired up when we move house :D

I'd love a group but Moonshine is so bossy and jealous I don't think she'd ever accept another bun. She can't accept anything new without giving Flopsy some grief!! Example, We picked up a clothes rail off Freecycle and put it in the dining room til we move and Moonshine went barmy, glaring at it, humping Flopsy and chasing her!!! And then spent an hour laid next to it, i think in case it tried anything funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicola

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what is the best for a group of three do you think, a boy and two girls or two boys and one girl?

I know there are millions of threads on this already and I would usually just search for them

I find my big group easier to look after (there's 9), but they aren't as closely bonded as my pairs.

(Although I have noticed some closely bonded bunsters within the group - Smirnoff, Sugar & Spice are very close, & so are Chocolate & Kendra)

sillyrabbit said:
TheGaffer said:

Nicola

:lol: :lol: :lol:

So what is the best for a group of three do you think, a boy and two girls or two boys and one girl?

I know there are millions of threads on this already and I would usually just search for them

I think probably a buck and 2 does would work better, but at the end of the day it all depends on each buns temprament (?SP)

Moonshine is just strange, she's lovely and cuddly with us, likes being picked up and fussed. Flopsy on the other hand is scared of her own shadow. But I do wonder if its being with Moonshine that made her that way, if you see what I mean? I have been considering the possibility of if we might need to separate them, cos its seems every so often Flopsy tries to stand up to Moonshine and all hell breaks loose!!

Nicola

i have groups and pairs and i don't think it makes much difference all of mine are quite happy and get on great

I have a group of 4 (mum, Dad, two boys) a pair, a four (all individuals 3boys and a girl) and a group of 13 (7boys and 6 girls) I prefer groups myself, the bonds probably are not as tight and there are occasional scraps, but they have more space and more freedom as they dont have to share divided areas, they are easier to look after although my 13 I have found impossible to litter train.

mine are all in pairs i would love a group but i have tried and not got very far :oops: they just prefer to be in pairs.

I know some peopel have got groupos and they get on well i suppose it is down to how the buns want to live

Thanks guys :D

Been kind of thinking I would love to rescue another bunny to possibly live in with Buu and Beau :wink:

I got a bit lazy with the hutch swapping right before Buu's spay and stopped completely while she recovered because I didnt want to go moving her around. Anyway I have started again properly switching hutches and runs every day. So they are sharing toys and litter trays too :D Just until I feel Buu has accepted that she doesnt own that part of the garden :wink:

So I was thinking do I rescue another bun soon and include the bunny in the hutch/run swapping then bond them. Or do I just bond Buu and Beau and maybe try introducing another bun later on :?

I havent decided anything yet by the way I am really only thinking about it :lol:

I have a group of mam and 2 daughters but i do worry if they fall out though, which is why i'm saving for neutering. I have 2 single boys one which is her son i want to bond them all together when neutering is done. Will be for a while though :)

Im going to be scared of them fighting even if it is just the two of them :lol: I need to think about this more before I go to the rescue and look at all the bunnies :lol: They did have a lovely girl there when I got Beau :wink:

It is hard. Today one of my pairs, Billy and Blue had a scrap. They dont seem to be as bonded as the other pair.

2 minutes later they are grooming each other again :roll:

It is upsetting too. You think they are loved up then all of a sudden, scrap time, then like i said, they are loved up again. :? .

Hope you make the right choice for you :)

Tracey x

Back