• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Decisions.....feel free to disagree with me :)

OK, I know that a lot of people will probably disagree with me on this one, but I have done a lot of research and had a big think, talked to a lot of people, including my vet, and I have decided to use a homeopathic vaccination this year, rather than the conventional method.

Basically I am posting this because I know that some other people on the forum use this method but don't make it widely known.
I know that there have been terrible outbreaks of disease in some areas, and whether conventionally or homeopathically vaccinated, bunnies have still passed to Rainbow Bridge.
I have had a long chat with my vet, I had concerns last year as Smokie had a horrible reaction to VHD, and I was really concerned about it. He was very honest, and said that recently (the last couple of years) they have seen increasing numbers of vaccinated bunnies sucumming to the diseases. I am uneasy about subjecting them to vaccination if its not really effective any more. I asked him if it was technique, he said he didnt think so, as he had treated bunnies from various vet practices (ours is one of only 2 offering 24 hour care in this area). He said (in his opinion) that if there was a virulent strain, it would be unlikely that any vaccination would protect the buns, and he thinks that the strains are mutating and so that is why the traditional vaccinations are not as effective. We discussed the fact that buns in generally good health, regularly monitored and checked, should be able to fight off milder strains of myxi, especially as the main reason wild bunnies die of myxi is that it stops them eating, whereas obviously if I noticed my buns were off their food I would intervene.
I know that whatever treatment is used, its never 100% guaranteed, and so for me and my buns, I feel I have made the best decision.

I have not posted this to cause any upset or even debate, but really just to let anyone who is interested know.

out of interest, can you do both? (traditional and homeopathically)

My personal opinion is to go with traditional as I have little to no knowledge of homeopathy, and trust traditional more than an unknown. What does it involve?

Hi Sally

I too have researched the use of Homeopathic Vaccination and have consulted a Vet who is also Qualified in Homeopathy. She said that the ONLY thing she would never use Homeopathic Treatment for INSTEAD of conventional treatment is Vaccinations. She gave a rather complicated explanation as to why which too be honest was somewhat above my head :oops:

As things currently stand and from the information I have obtained so far I still believe that conventional vaccine is the best way to protect my Bunnies. I will, however, continue to research and review.

Janex

I don't see why you can't do both, the homeopathic method involves giving the buns a tablet every so often called a nosode. This is what one of them is

What Is A Nosode? In homeopathy, there is a special type of remedy called a nosode. A nosode (from nosos, the Greek word meaning disease) is a homeopathic preparation made from matter from a sick animal or person. Substances such as respiratory discharges or diseased tissues are used. It sounds repulsive, but the preparation, using alcohol, as well as the repeated dilution and succussion, essentially renders the substances harmless, while producing a powerful remedy. The use of nosodes in a prophylactic manner, for preventing disease, has been employed in veterinary and human homeopathy for many years. It is supported by various holistic veterinarians and authors

Is there any independant research into the effectivenedss of the homeopathic versions and, if so, what are the success rates that they show? How do they compare to the protection of traditional vaccines?
Where did you find your information from?

I've thought about it but never got further than thinking about it really, not so confident with my vets after loosing my buns :(

Might ask my other vets when I take the others for their VHD's in a couple of weeks :?

For me, I don't know enough about it to be confident in giving a Homeopathic vaccine...yet

But then again I don't have much faith in traditional vaccines now :oops:

I think I'm at a loss as to what potentially would be best :?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but did someone on here not have an awful time with VHD/Myxi and all their buns were done homopathically?
I guess the same could be said for traditional methods though....its a tough decision, so no one can really say its a bad/better idea compared to traditional methods. I just wish there was a way to irradicate the disease! :(

Spacegirl said:
Is there any independant research into the effectivenedss of the homeopathic versions and, if so, what are the success rates that they show? How do they compare to the protection of traditional vaccines?
Where did you find your information from?

As far as I could discover, there is no conclusive research on comparative effectiveness. Most reports are anecdotal.

I did lots of internet searching, some of the links are here :

http://www.naturalrearing.com/J_In_Learning/Immunization/NOSODES.htm

http://www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg/whatisanosode.html

http://nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org/articles/view,49

http://www.heilkunst.com/homeo_immun.pdf

http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/

OK, there were more, they are just the ones still in my history (hubby makes me clear my cache every week :lol: :lol: )

Beebop said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but did someone on here not have an awful time with VHD/Myxi and all their buns were done homopathically?

thats true, but as I said, I also know people, and the vet said too, that conventially vacced buns have also been lost to the disease.

its a tough decision, so no one can really say its a bad/better idea compared to traditional methods. I just wish there was a way to irradicate the disease! :(

I completely agree!!!!

I know nothing about the homeopathic versions of the vaccinations... but from what I have read here (about the nosodes) and from what I already know about immunology... both methods aim to introduce the antigen (either VHD or Myxi, in an inactive form) to the immune system... from what I gather, the homeopathic version does this via ingestion and the traditional version does this via injection - the only difference that I can see is that the injected form is more likely to reach white blood cells (of the immune system), and would do so quicker and be less damaged by the process than the ingested form...
that's the impression I get from reading this thread only... off to do more research, but until I am strongly persuaded otherwise, I am going to go for the traditional approach.

I would be interested in using them if they are proven as effective as the vaccination, as I hate the thought bunns must have suffered to produce the vaccine when it was tested on them :cry:

i'll dig out the info if anyone wants it, but.....

according to hahnemann in his 6th organon, nosodes are for the prevention of disease *whilst in an epidemic* situation only.

i am a 10000000% believer in homeopathy, by the way :wink:

i will also add that i dont believe a vaccine 'runs out' 365 days after the booster was done. i believe that once an immune response has been created, in the absence of chemo etc the body will remain immune.
levels of protection are measure by titre testing. the test only shows what antibodies are circulating in the blood at the time of the test. it doesnt show if the animal has formed the memory cells in the bone marrow from which a future immune response will be launched. (i do hope i have written that correctly, i am very tired)

i personally go for minimal vaccines with my animals. some that means no vaccines at all, others it is what i believe they are most in danger of.
i am a firm believer in the effects of vaccine damage too.

research, research, research then make your choice doing what you truly believe is best for you animals xx

I'm afraid I would only use homeopathic on top of traditional vacs..for added protection...All the trusted vets I have spoken to.. since Su lost 2 of her buns to VHD who were homeopathically vacs....have said they are not to be relied upon in the vaccination field..
So i would strongly urge people to continue with the traditional vaccine.

Seeing the heartbreak that Su (cannonwoman) has gone through over the past few weeks with her homepathically vaccinated buns dying from vhd I think anyone doing that must be mad - just my opinion of course!!

What I've observed is that it's often members with quite a few rabbits who pursue this, presumably there's a cost factor involved too (not saying this is you at all, just what I've seen). If it is often done homepathically due to the sheer number of rabbits they own/foster/rescue then maybe few buns could mean they are properly vaccinated.

Good luck to you, I hope vhd or myxi don't catch your buns and if it does the homeopathic vaccines work, but I'm not convinced at all :?

Again I believe in homeopathic meds in humans, I use a lot myself but I'm not convinced they would work for the animals.

I guess it's like humans, some it will work for and some it won't.

But as has been stated already for some the traditional vaccines don't work either :?

So either way could be a loose loose situation

I'm not sold on homeopathy for people never mind for animals!!!
The whole concept is just so ridiculus!!

I actually did an internet search not long ago for homeopathy in vetinary care, vaccs etc, and found nothing, not one single bit of research! Obviously that doesn't mean none exists, but there's nothing published on the web that is specifically aimed at rabbits and vaccinations.

But, I am a nurse and I'm a firm believer in medicine.

At the end of the day, if there was a homeopathic MMR for kids, I'd opt for the traditional vacc every time. I wouldn't risk my childs health, and I wouldn't risk my rabbit's.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Nicola

TheGaffer said:
I'm not sold on homeopathy for people never mind for animals!!!
The whole concept is just so ridiculus!!

I actually did an internet search not long ago for homeopathy in vetinary care, vaccs etc, and found nothing, not one single bit of research! Obviously that doesn't mean none exists, but there's nothing published on the web that is specifically aimed at rabbits and vaccinations.

But, I am a nurse and I'm a firm believer in medicine.

At the end of the day, if there was a homeopathic MMR for kids, I'd opt for the traditional vacc every time. I wouldn't risk my childs health, and I wouldn't risk my rabbit's.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Nicola

This is one of those cases that we're going to have to agree to disagree on, it's an individual thing, you're always going to get people that swear by Homeopathic stuff and never go to a doctor, just the same as you'll always get people who are at the doctors for every little thing.... my gran being one of them :roll:

I don't know, maybe using it in conjuction with the traditional vacs, maybe that would give better protection than just a traditional vac?

If homeopathy was anywhere near as good as clinical treatment, we we'd never have developed modern medicine.

If I wasn't going to vaccinate with a traditional vaccine, I would save my money and not bother at all because IMO, the protection from disease would be the same.

I wouldn't entirely rule out homeopathic remedies, but not for life and death situations.

Back