• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding wild Nettles grown in my Garden / cultivated.

Hi I was out in the garden yesterday and Cultivated some wild Nettles growing in a patch in my garden. they have not been pesticided or anything else on them .

and iam curently drying them out. so i can feed them to Poppy my rabbit .

i have read in books on nettles. that it's befor seeding you can cultivate nettles and feed them to rabbits as long as the nettles are dead right ?
so that would be now right ?

as the nettles here are not in flower. or have seed heads on them. they are just green leaves. that will be hopefuly dried and dead soon in my shed as that's where they are drying out currently .
and then i will see if poppy eats them when i offer them to her.

what i want to know is how many weeks befor you can feed to rabbits? is it 4 weeks or 2 weeks i don't want them to mould ?
it's just iam not sure of how long you would dry out nettles for . :wink:

i know it's a daft question but that's what i am doing . :)

I would just wait til they are 'crunchy' then they should be fine :)
So long as they have no pesticides on like you already said, go for it!
I collect nettles and dry them out for mine in the shed too, I hang them upside down on the wall. So long as they don't get damp they won't mould.

Mine have any fresh young nettles that I find while I'm weeding (no pesticides or stuff on our garden for the past 15 years, though I'm afraid we had to use a moss killer/feed on the lawn for the first time a couple of weeks ago). The prickles don't seem to bother them at all

There are loads of nettles near me, but I never fed them as I thought they'd be too stingy??? :? Blonde moment? :lol: :lol:

:shock: do they need drying out? i have given my bunsters fresh nettles before, and they munched them down very happily

cheekytikki said:
:shock: do they need drying out? i have given my bunsters fresh nettles before, and they munched them down very happily

drying (or cooking if your eating them) destroys the posion which causes the irratation (i assume so but i cant rember if it also destroys the prickles too:? )

Back