• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit cages/crates

Flo

Alpha Buck
Some of you may know that OH last his beloved Alfie cat a few weeks ago. He doesnt want another cat, so I have agreed to let him have a couple of my last foster babies (is anyone else struggling to home youngsters?)

He wants them indoors, which is great. I have a cage he can use for the time being, but it isnt in the slightest bit pretty..where can I get either a decent cage or crate for no too much money. I have had a mosey around online and on ebay and the cages are very small and too expensive. Does anyone have one they dont want for free or very cheap??

I got a brand new 48" cage from ebay for about £38 which was a lot cheaper than even the second hand ones I have seen.

How big would the cage have to be? I think the babies are nethie x so I dont think they will get huge, and they will be out of the cage in the evenings and weekends. I know hutches have to be a certain size, not sure about indoor cages :roll:

the bigger the better, my 2 have a 48" crate with a permanently attched run which makes their cage 4ft x 5.5ft in total they are let out to free range my room and normally the landing from when i wake up to when i got to bed. i am also now converting an almost 7ft x 7.5ft room for them :D i dont have huge bunnies (a dutch and a lionhead cross)
i think 48" is the biggest crate but you can either attach a pen or attach 2 or more crates together :D

we had oscar who was a mini lop..pretty small but not as small as a nethi..

heres what we bought..but i nkow theyre cheaper elsewhere but its what we had used our argos vouchers on couple of years ago and its been a godsend..done bun then bunies then bun then kitties then kittie recovering from spay and now is about tobe used for little frenchie with a run and until shes bonded with bif n bertie.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8705455.htm

if hes handy enuff he can put in a second storey!

we then bought a 48 inch one from ebay for £35 and it was great..even usedit as a bedrom forbertie and bif! and the two kittens who followed them as it was cold and bunnies are sooo warm! :lol:

if its just to use as a bedroom/base whilst they have free running space then its not asbad..otherwise have a run attached..oneofthose ones that comes in panels ( which bertie used as his cage till he was bonded withbif!)

Back