• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD

Rex

New Kit
Hi

Has anyone's Rabbits, ever died from VHD, if so what were the symptoms. Because I think one of my Rabbits, has just died from this virus :( :( :( :(

Sorry to hear you have lost your rabbit :(
There have been a few people on here who's rabbits have died of VHD.. i think its usually a very sudden death and they dont usually show symptoms of it. You can always get a post mortem done if you think thats what your bun died of. Do you have any other rabbits?

I am so sorry to hear about your Bunny :cry:

VHD can present with general malaise, not eating and a very high temperature. Death is sadly very rapid and often rabbits are found dead with no obvious previous symptoms. Sometimes there will be blood from the mouth or bottom of the deceased rabbit.

If you suspect VHD it is ESSENTIAL you get any other Rabbits you have vaccinated (if the are not already) and you need to destroy the accomodation occupied by the deceased Rabbit.
A post mortem would be needed to confirm a VHD outbreak but if other Bunnies are involved I think it is best to assume VHD and instigate strict quarentine proceedures.

Here is some info about VHD

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/vhd.htm

Janex

Im not to sure if this is what my rabbit died from. Its just that he died so quickly and suddenly.
In the morning he was eating happily, and by the evening he was half dead.
we took him to the vets at 10pm at night.
The vet felt his tummy, and there was no gas build up, and his tummy was empty.
He had no sign of the runs or anything. He went off his food in the afternoon, and he was very sleepy, everytime he got up he would move a bit then he would lay back down again, and he would drag his back legs a little, and stretch out.
And by the morning he was dead.
The vet kept him in over night and observed him, they gave him all manner of injections, and they gave him Fibreplex, to get his gut moving again, but he just didnt make it. The vet said it was something he had eaten??
:( he was our favourite boy aswell.
It could of been anything couldn't it. Its always the best ones that die young, its not fair.

So sorry to hear about your bunny. The symptoms you described sound very similar to Benny before he died:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=40840

I have a nagging feeling that it could have been VHD too. He had his yearly vaccination but was due for another 2 weeks before he died. He'd had a dental op and was doing ok although not eating a great deal but had a funny turn on his last day. He was doing his usual thing, chasing his dad to and from the kitchen but then started laying around awkwardly. If you picked him up he would just lie down again and could never get comfortable.

When we got him to the vet he told us his stomach was empty - he kept him overnight and syringe fed him but he died. When we brought him back home before his cremation we had a look at him and I thought I noticed a bit of dried blood on the sheet that covered him near his back end which is a sign of VHD but I'm sure that if it was that the vet would've known and told us? He didn't suggest doing a post mortem either. Like you said, it could be anything, in Benny's case it could also have been bloat.

I know how devastated you must feel, it's really horrible losing a special bun. We miss our Benny so much.

That sounds exactley the same symptoms as my poor litlle boy.
The sad thing was Dylan was only 7 months old when he died. He had no life at all.
We have babies at the moment. They are now 6 weeks old. Dylan was the dad. We are going to keep one of the baby boys, and we are going to call him Dylan after his dad.
And we also bought a new Rabbit at the weekend. Another Blue Rex, he is the absolute spitting image of Dylan, he just has a different character, and a smaller face. But its almost asthough Dylan has been given back to us.
We got the new Rabbit, from the same owner as we got Dylan from. And they both have the same dad, so they are almost brothers.
And we are taking my other Rabbits to the vets on Sat to get them vaccinated for myxi, and vhd.
So its all ended in a happy ending.

Back