• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Bunnies!!!

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Helloo, Wondering if you could help me. As you know, I know what I'm doing with adult buns and am confident with them etc but I've got a rather embarresing problem...I'm absolutely petrified of Baby bunnies!! I never planned to have any, but by the end of the week will be mummy to one!!! *thud* :shock: They look so delicate and I've no idea what to do with one :oops: Do you pick them up the same? Do they need unlimited pellets or not? I have so many questions I just cant think of!! :? Will he be friendly or will he need taming? I know they need loads of time spent with them to make them used to people. Is there anything else I need to know about them? Gawd this is soo embarresing :oops: Thank You in Advance :), I'll just go and hide now!!! :oops: :lol: Xx

I'm going to laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

No advice I can think of at the moment, sure I'll think of something later

you will do fine, you are so great with bunnies :D

when i got teegra i let him have unlimited hay, water and a bowl of the mix he had been on and then i left him for 24 hours to settle in (dont know if this was 'right' but it worked with him ) i then started by just putting my hand in his cage and talking to him whilst he explored my hand, then i progressed to gently stroking etc until he was happy with me stroking him picking him up etc (i also started litter training straight away by placing all his toilet efforts in a tray)
i didnt give him veges for ages but i dont know how other people feel about baby buns and veges.

sorry i couldnt help more but i have only had one baby bun :oops: im sure somone will be along to help soon :D

p.s. how is baby bun doing now?

Aww dont be embarrased hun! :D

I have had Buu and Scarlett since they were babys and they were both little troublemakers :shock: :lol:

You should give unlimited pellets until 6 months I think, and introduce veg slowly :D

As for picking them up Buu has never liked it so we have never lifted her unless we really had to, but Scarlett would wriggle about like mad when she was a baby! It didnt take too long for either of them to get used to people and make themselves at home :D But baby Buu was a lot friendlier than baby Scarlett when they first arrived :D

Oh and small spaces!! When Buu was little she squeezed under our huge bookshelf and we couldnt reach in to get her. And obviously couldnt just leave her unsupervised because of my cat so I had to sit in the hallway for about 5 hours one night waiting for her to come out :lol:

Just think of it as a very little adult bunny that's extra fluffy and possibly a bit shy and you'll do fine :)

OMG You!! Don't laugh at me :oops: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the advice Guys, thats Brill. I'll print it all out. Abi, He's still at the vets but fighting hard and might be home as soon as the end of the week!! :D X

beckiboo186 said:
OMG You!! Don't laugh at me :oops: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the advice Guys, thats Brill. I'll print it all out. Abi, He's still at the vets but fighting hard and might be home as soon as the end of the week!! :D X

thats great news :D cant wait to see piccies of this extra special miracle bun :D

Becki, i can't wait to see him :love:

Baby bunnies are amazing, they are so sweet and learn to love and trust you straight away, they become loyaler (is that a word???) everyday :)

cavysrock said:
Baby bunnies are amazing, they are so sweet and learn to love and trust you straight away, they become loyaler (is that a word???) everyday :)

OOh TY Beth, Thats given me more confidence! :D Ohh Guys, You'll be sick of the site of him, I'll post SO many photos!! :lol: I'm SOOOOOOOO Excited!!!! :D :D :D xX

I got a new baby lionhead last week, of the four bunnies I've had they've all been babies when we first got them, so I kinda know what I'm doing with them.

Find out what food he's been on, if it's a pellet keep him on it, if it's a mix switch him over gradually to a pellet. You can get them junior feeds, we got that for Pebble and Ebony when they were little but didn't bother this time, they don't really need it.

Free feed pellets until six months and do not give veggies til then, not good for their systems. When you start introducing veggies do it very gradually. Unlimited hay too of course.

You don't have to pick them up any different, but they are little wigglers!! Hehe they don't stop moving!

I'm sure you'll do great!! :D

I know you will anyway Becki but I think they need loads of attention and handling after they've settled in so they are used to you.

When I had my baby foster rexes I just let them loose in the summer house and they went a bit wild and hid every time I went in so I had to make a pen out of argos storage cubes so they were forced to interact with me. Also, I don't know if others agree but I would make sure I pick him up lots so he doesn't hate it as much as most of our rescue bunns who aren't used to handling.

Look forward to photos! x

ps. you know the free feeding pellets thing, I think it was Cheryl who said she didnt agree with that as it doesnt encourage them to eat hay.

And veggies- I always hear conflicting things on this but I believe you can give them from just a few weeks old...if you think what their diet would be in the wild they would be eating grass, leaves etc straight away. Introduce bland veges at first and small amounts. I gave the rexes veg from about 6 weeks old.

Any babies I have here have always been raised on veggies, hay and small amounts of pellets

Thanks Guys :D, I can't keep still I'm so excited!!!! They're really confusing as babies arent they?! Going to walk down to the pet shop tomorrow and buy lots of goodies for him :D X

First up you will be fine! they arent that different from when they reach adulthood - although I am inclined to think they are a bit better behaved :lol: :roll: If thats possible...
Just take things slowly and enjoy it and take loads of piccies cos they grow up soooo fast! - ! :> Enjoy

I didn,t have a clue when OH mate found Angel in his garden in February.She was the smallest bunny i had ever seen.
I feed her on Excell junior and fill her dish up when it is empty.
I have just started giving her a little veg and she loves it.She also eats tons of hay :D
She is still a little nervous and tends to run away when i open the shed door.She is getting better though and when i go sit in the shed with her she soons come out of hiding and comes up to me :love:
I am sure you will do just fine Becki :D

Becki I can't wait for you to get him !!!! Little baby... I find baby bunnies to be just the same as adults apart from the fact that they need more sleep and you have to often tame them. Depends if they have been handled alot or not. My girls let me earn their trust pretty quick... although Maisie can still be a bit nervy. You will be fine. Don't worry. Angel Tilly-May will guide you and I am always about if you need any advice xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank You Everyone :) Your right Charlotte, My little girl will get me through it ... and your going to meet the Little Man soon!!! :wink: We'll see what happens with him!!! :lol: Xx

Back