• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rare striped rabbit!

Wow, that's amazing. The ears don't appear to be very long or do I need to put my glasses on due to the fact I am nearly on the wrong side of 40 :(

i am 23 and i don't think it has very big ears either :lol: make u feel better now ? :wink:

that is amazing :D

That's the sumatran rabbit or volcano rabbit as it's also called, I've had a picture of one in an animal book I had as a kid. They've known about them for a long time, but don't see them often, another animal to add to the list along with polar bears and tigers.....

they're in the same family as rabbits and hares, their genus name nesolagus means 'island-rabbit'... the European rabbit oryctolagus means 'digging rabbit'!!! :D

rianne23

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:44 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am 23 and i don't think it has very big ears either make u feel better now ?
Yes thanks, feel much better now. I was twisting my head, screwing up my eyes for a better view which only empathised my wrinkles :twisted:

raven_guest said:
That's the sumatran rabbit or volcano rabbit as it's also called, I've had a picture of one in an animal book I had as a kid. They've known about them for a long time, but don't see them often, another animal to add to the list along with polar bears and tigers.....

Hi,

The Sumatran rabbit and Volcano rabbit are two separate species actually. The latter (Romerolagus diazi) lives in Mexico. I have a copy of Collin's Guide to the rare mammals of the world. There are pics in there of the rare lagomorphs with descriptions. The sumatran rabbit does indeed have short ears. :D

Sumatran rabbit:

_42770703_rabbit_ap203b.jpg

Annamite striped rabbit:

sumatran.jpg

Volcano rabbit:

volcano.jpg

Heres some more rare bunnies:

http://www.lagomania.com/otherlago.html

Back