• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting in run

debpayne

Young Bun
We have our two new bunnies in a hutch and there is a large run connected with a ramp coming from the front of the hutch, my question is should we put Cookie and Rolo into the run as they step onto the ramp and then run back into their hutch, or let them go down and out of their own accord.
They can come and go as they please while we are there and would have so much more room.

many thanks

Debbie

:oops: Sorry..I'll try again. basically what I'm saying is that they won;t come out into the run of their own accord so should I put them out there or let them do it in their own time? They seem unsure of the ramp.

Hope that's better

Debbie

Hi Deb. I'm not sure either what your question is,but I think you were wondering if they should be kept only in the run during the day. If they have the luxury of having free access to both during the day then let them come and go as they please in the hutch/run combo.

I think they will come down the ramp in time, why don't you put their favourite food along the ramp as 'bait' with the rest at the bottom where they can see it and hopefully they'll get the hang of it. If that doesn't work in a few days then I'd personally pick them up and put them in the run and see if they can figure out how to get back up - but be careful not to scare them and put them off ever trying it again. How are they to handle?

I understand now! I agree with the above posts. Bournville found his way down within a short time, but Floss didn't venture down for about 24 hours (though she may have done so during the night when I wasn't watching!!) :)

Ok thank you, we only got them yesterday morning (think I'm panicking about everything too much) :( I was up at 4.30am worrying about them too. They are ok being stroked in the hutch but we haven't really tried picking them up yet as we wanted them to settle in first.
Here are piccies
COOKIE
Cookieweb.jpg

ROLO
Roloweb.jpg

Awwwww theyre lovely. I put my buns in their new hutch for the first time on Wednesday, they hadnt got a clue what to do for about 12 hours, then Truffle discovered that there was some tasty food down there and it was worth the risk! :lol: Moose still hadnt got a clue what to do so I closed the trap door that night. Next day Truff was straight down for breakfast, but Moose just looked nervously at the hole... Truff was going up and down the ramp like a looney almost showing Moose what to do, she eventually followed him and now doesnt think twice about doing it. I was worried that the ramp was too slippy where I hadnt painted the wood preserve and that there wasnt enough steps, but to be honest they fly up and down without really touching the ramp! My last old bunny NEVER EVER used her ramp, it took me months to realise that the hole was too small for her to get out of!

Your new babies are soo cute :D

Give them time they'll get the idea, especially if there is a nice treat involved

Why was I panicing???? The pair of them are now flying up and down the ramp without their feet hardly touching. ( I am a real worrier). They have been having a ball and it's been great watching them in the run together. They have been fliping in the air and leaping over each other etc... I haven't got any housework done and the house is a mess but who cares?? I've sat watching the buns all day. Hehehehe
Thank for veryone help and advice.

Deb :D

Back