• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CAN YOU HELP?

emilyarc

Warren Scout
HI DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON RABBITS AND HARNESSES WITH LEADS?
does anyone have a spare or unwanted harness and lead that they don't use or do not want as i have one but need another for my other rabbits.
Please reply on anything useful to harness and lead for rabbits

Hello

I dont really like the idea of harnesses for Rabbits as I feel that a prey animal should not be constrained in such a way. HOWEVER, this is just a personal opinion and I know some people on here do use harnesses for their Buns.
Hopefully someone else will see this thread and offer you a different opinion :)

Janex

I only put my two on their harnesses' when they go out for the first time each year (as they are house buns). This is more for my own peace of mind as they get quite spooked when they go out for the first time as noises like the wind in the trees and the birds etc are new to them again. It also helps as no matter how hard I look to check the garden is still bunny proof and how they didn't ever dig the year before, I can guarantee that they would do it then!!

I usually take them off after 5-10 mins, once I'm relaxed that they're ok. - obviously, I never leave them unsupervised anyway.

I don't have strong views, as long as bunnies aren't put through undue stress. I tried one on the more laid back of my 2 bunnies once and she went beserk. :shock: She had it on for all of 30 seconds.

I tried one on a rabbit a few years ago now. She went mad, got the lead wrapped round her leg and that was the first time I ever heard a rabbit scream, it was awful.

She wasn't hurt, just scared, but I never used it again.

Kate

Rushie said:
I tried one on a rabbit a few years ago now. She went mad, got the lead wrapped round her leg and that was the first time I ever heard a rabbit scream, it was awful.

She wasn't hurt, just scared, but I never used it again.

Kate

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: my gawd, my two have never done anything like that!! Mind you, it might be different if it's an outside bunny who's used to having the run of the place himself. I don't tend to hold the leads as you would walking a dog though, I've seen people doing that and it looks a bit unfair. Then again, I've heard people say that they actually take their buns for proper walks on them!? :shock:

I used a harness initially on Rudy as we had cats next door. I got him used to wearing the harness just wearing it for short periods before i attached the lead. He no longer wears it as he will come if called.

Think this depends on the rabbit. Dudley will wear one happily (he seems to react to it like a big bunny cuddle, he's a strange boy), the others HATE it and I won't even try putting it on them. I have the 'jacket' style one which is more comfortable than just straps as it spreads the 'pull'. I would only ever use it to follow where they want to go - Dudley likes having a run round our unsecure garden.

I think if your bunny will wear one it's ok, but they should NEVER be forced to because that would be cruel.

i bought one for tiger, my bunny, and posted on here asking if you can train a bunny to harness and lead, lets just say the replys i got opened my eyes and put me off ever using it again :wink:

:oops: woozle had the strap type..it had carrots on it you know the one i mean? well he loved it..he wasnt happy being restricted by a run..he wanted to have a good run literally cos wed take him for a walk along the footpaths etc and across to my mums house to visit her..and my dad when he was alive..
woozle loved it..it was nvere a constarint issue tho i assure you..we went where he wanted to go! and aneighbours cat would often accomany him..looked so funny!

oscar had the comfort fit one and he loved it but after woozles death post slippingin dog squits ( now theres antifouling notices around what good theyr worth0 we kept him in the garden..he loved walking skipping binkying and snoozing in th egarden..he tolerated the run but much prefferred the harness and lead..btw both were house buns although oscar had lived outside till he was 8 months old..
bif realy panciked putting it on but instead of taking it off she wanted to go with oscar and she loved it but kept trying to escape under a gap in next dors fence complete with me in tow! so we never made that outing again instead we got the 8 panel run with cover..
however id love to take bertie for a walk but im afraid id h ave to carry him most of the way! :lol:

Back