• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a rescue advertising easter buns for adoption!

ive just been looking at the news in my area on the online newspaper thing and i am abit shocked theres a story on there

adopt an easter bunny! ive *** out names and the place

ANIMAL lovers have the chance to change the lives of more than 60 abandoned rabbits this Easter.
************* has launched its Easter Bunny appeal to raise the profile of the rabbits in its care.

Charity trustee ********* hopes the project will encourage people who want to buy a rabbit over the holiday to consider adopting an abandoned rabbit or sponsor the ones it is looking after.

She said: “We hope by launching our Easter Bunny appeal we will raise the profile of the rabbits in our care.

“We would ask people to consider buying an older, abandoned rabbit rather than a young one and we hope other people will sponsor the rabbits we have or perhaps offer us hutches they do not need anymore.”

It costs ***** on average £85 to look after all the rabbits in its care and it usually has between 60 and 80 at any one time.

The charity neuters male rabbits, makes sure they all have a myxomatosis vaccination and each rabbit comes with six weeks' free insurance when it is rehomed.

****** rehomes the rabbits in twos for companionship and asks people who adopt its rabbits for a £45 donation for a pair.

im abit shocked by this! i see it as good as they are letting people know about adopting but yet also bad that they are sort of advertising this at easter time!!! and i know this place doesnt do home checks either!

I think it's both good and bad, they're taking something negative (people impulse buying bunnies at easter) and given them a better outlet for their impulsive buying. But at the same time it is encouraging people to buy buns at easter.

I agree, they might be making people who would buy a bun anyway from a petshop go and rescue one and hopefully get some proper advice on care/hutch size etc

I went into a petshop today where they usually only sell aquatics and reptiles to see a black bun in a small hutch with a sign saying 'Easter Bunny £10.99' :( The biggest hutch they sold was 4ft and this bun was big already

Well, if people are looking for easter bunnies and they go to that rescue , then at least they can (hopefully) be educated about what keeping a rabbit involves. And if they home check etc then it could be a good thing.

I agree thats this is probably not the best situation, but I guess its a good way for the rescues to get the attention of those silly people who insist on buying on impulse...... if it makes a person think twice about buying from a pet shop, then I think its a good idea, at least they will leave with a lot of useful bunny knowledge and hopefully a neutered bunny. :)

Not all buns bought at Easter are impulse buys: One family I know have had their children pleading to have a pair of rabbits since they saw mine last Summer, but the parents told the children they'd have to wait till Easter(2 weeks off school) before they could get them. They are having theirs from the RSPCA. If the rescue manages to lure buyers(impulse or not) away from the pet shops etc then it's a good thing.

Im torn on whether this is a good or bad thing. The reality is that people will buy a bun as a easter gift so really if this is what people are already considering doing, then at least if they go to a rescue they will have home check and be neutered?! I went to p@h a couple of days ago as the xcel food was buy one get one free and they had no buns. Today I thought I was running low on wood shaving so nipped up and they were full with baby bunnies AND people wanting to buy them. I was there 10 mins and in that time I saw 2 people buying them. (One other who was looking at them I advised to go to our local rescue centre and she said she would :) )So although it may be a bit controversial, at least they are trying to make people rescue bunnies instead of buying them - even if they are going about it in a bit of a bad way.

It probably looks bad if you're a bunny welfare person but as for targeting exactly the people that might go out to buy an easter bunny it's perfect ;) I imagine it was probably a calculated bit of publicity of the rescues front.

Tam

What they are saying all seems very sensible to me. They are probably using Easter to get their charity in the paper - what's wrong with that. It seems like good publicity to me. Some people are very critical of other people's efforts.
Lynn

I don't think it's a bad thing at all - as others have said, very good publicity.

Interestingly, I actually took in my bunnies, who were unwanted pets, just before Easter last year, not after! :?

I can see both good and bad parts to this, I think what they are trying to do is good, however could have gone about it in a better way.

Personally I don't think its a great idea supporting 'a bunny for easter' idea and would be equally shocked if a rescue did a 'puppy for Christmas' campaign. It does set out the wrong message. They'd have been much better IMHO to have warned against buying rabbits at easter but if you were considering a bunny to adopt/sponsor one to see if you were a suitable owner. As far as I see it, anyone wanting a rabbit for easter, may just go to the shop if, for example the rescue is too far away or they feel they could get one bun at £15 down the road rather than taking on two at £48....remember many see rabbits as cheap.

I really don't like the message it is sending out and although it may deter many from going to their local shop, its still wrong. It also goes against the 'make mine chocolate' campaign does it not?

If they are as desperatly full as we are I can't blame them for trying to get rabbits rehomed this way, even though I don't like the language used. Far better that people go for the option where they can be educated than trot along to a pet shop.

The reason our piece got onto Midlads Today was because Easter was coming, although that wasn't the intention when it was filmed; it was supposed to go live but got bumped and shown later on in an Easter themed slot. It did help with rehoming though :D

Back