• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits to get?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Sorry for what is no doubt a question you've been asked a 1,000 times before... :oops:

I wasn't planning on getting another rabbit just yet (after my lovely Smudge died last year), but a friend has ended up with baby rabbits (Daddy rabbit has now had the "snip", so there will be no more babies.)

So the dilemma, do I take one of them and then look for a rescue rabbit to pair up with it when it's older or do I take two same sex litter mates and hope that they don't fall out before I can have them neutered as I really haven't got enough room to set up two separate runs/hutches :?

When I got Smudge a friend advised me at the time to get one of her litter mates to keep her company and they got on fantastically but I keep researching the topic now and scaring myself with people's tales of rabbit fights.

Any advice? Oh and if it helps this is a pic of the babies, so as you can see I've got a bit of time to make a decision
P3310078-1.jpg

I have got a brother and sister (as you can see from siggy) and they have always adored each other! Had a couple of days of Bob trying to hump her head when they were small but that stopped when he was neutered, and then vice versa when Abby reached puberty! Abby is now spayed. But they have never fought and they are absolutely devoted to each other!

I would say definitely go for 2! I have heard that the best pairing is neutered male and female...just make sure that you get the male neutered as soon as you can, so that they don't reproduce!

Abby was spayed because she was going through a false pregnancy and poor Bob was being humped all over the place :lol: I also thought it was best as I had heard about unspayed females developing uterine cancer.

As you may know I have a family of 4, mum, dad, and two daughters all living together. Dad was booked in for his plumb removal but managed to do the deed a few days before (even though they had been kept seperate) They have been living together for over a year and I have not had any problems with fighting (touch wood it won't happen now I;ve said that)

Definately go for (at least!) a pair.

My first shop bought baby rabbits :oops: were sisters and came as a ready made bonded pair. No drama bonding siblings!

In fact, they never were spayed - and lived very happily together to a fair old age of 8 when sadly Myxi claimed Blossom and we lost Sophie some months later.

It would be much better than going though the fraught process of finding a partner and bonding at a later stage in my opinion.

Cara

I too had a bonded brother and sister previously as I'd also heard that the best pairing is neutered male and female. They were devoted to each other. :love: :love:

We got them at 8 weeks old, and had to be vigilant about Fred's 'bits' dropping, at which point he was whisked straight off to the vet. Ginger, his sister, was spayed when she reached maturity.

I would definitely say keep at least two! :D

Okay so it looks like it'll be two litter mates & I think I've talked Mum into letting me get a two tier 5ft long hutch. Thanks for all the advice :D
Just got to wait until the babies are old enough to leave their Mum now.... *struggles to wait patiently*

Back