• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To worm or not to worm......??

Doncat5

Mama Doe
Well I've had my girlie bun around 5 weeks, she's around 7 months, and today I have acquired her a lovely little husbun aged around 18 mths (Davis). As far as I am aware neither has ever been wormed and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to worm them both as a one off??? I'm not sure about the constant routine worming but would it be a good idea to do them both now?? Any comments would be much appreciated. :)

Sorry don,t know much about worming.
My bunnies go to the vet for a regular checkup and the vets have never mentioned anything about worming.
It would be interesting to know if people regular worm their rabbits.

I was at the vets yesterday getting my bunny checked out after buying him. My vet said to give him a worming treatment cause he'd been in with other bunnies and piggies. And to continue to worm if keeping him with others.

Yeah thats what my vet said last week...... not sure if I'm convinced though as its quite a new treatment..... hmm

I would worm them both as a one off- when a new bun is introduced into the household it is a time of 'high risk' as they can be carying worms or EC and pass it on.

I dont believe pet bunnies need regular worming but do think they should be wormed at least once and at times of high risk.

My take on this new wormer paste is that:

1. It isn't for worms at all, it is for EC (the dose for actual worming is higher and for a shorter time)

2. The course is not long enough to eradicate EC so it is only effective if done regularly to continually supress symptoms so doing it as a one off is pointless, however EC is a huge problem, so doing it regularly may well be a good idea.

It seems to me that they concluded that people would not see their way through a full 28 day course, and anyway the rabbit could well get reinfected anyway, so controling it by giving it a regular bashing is the best option. Plus of course they get max profit :roll: Tests only showed that the rabbits do not pick up EC while being given the paste. They do not seem to have proved how effective it is otherwise. However it is known that when given a 28 day course the symptoms are supressed after the first week, the remainder being required to fully kill off the parasite. They seem to think that people will buy a 'wormer' as they are used to giving it to their dogs even though that is not what this is for :roll:

EC is a huge problem. If this helps keep the casualties down it is a good thing.
As for worms, it is unusual for a pet rabbit to get them.

This is just the point my thoughts on this have reached from what I have read and from talking to my vet.

I think that as most bunnies contract it from their mothers at birth then worming at a young age is for the best.

My own buns are wormed twice yearly because we constantly have new foster buns and I dont want a carrier to pass EC on. I also worm all the foster bunnies as many rabbits carry EC but show no outward symptoms :roll: making it hard to tell if a rabbit is infected and presenting a risk to others.

I use the 9 day for undiagnosed buns but there seems to be confusion as to whether this is good enough.

So, sorry for being a bit thick here, but what is the 28 day course, my vet has only mentioned the 9 day course.... is the 9 day one supposed to be for prevention and the 28 to cure?????? All opinions welcomed as this is very confusing! :?

Yes 28 days is to treat confirmed EC while 9 days is a preventative measure to be used at times of risk or for annual worming.

Back