• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Amber chews everything and sometimes me!

emilyarc

Warren Scout
My rabbit amber, 4mths is my house rabbit with her friend Benji. I like to let them out alot however i am not doing it so often as she bites the bed sheet and eats it, eats platic of broom and sometimes bites my foot etc. I don't know what to do as i need to be there to supervise if i am to let her out in my room but the she can sometimes still bite.
Any suggestions?

( i have a wicker basket and a chube tube and ball for her to play with but she never does and i think she seems bored.)

Are your rabbits neutered? This can sometimes affect behaviour. Otherwise, argos catalogues are handy to leave out open to be chewed and dug at, and toilet roll tubes are a cheap and favourite chew toy.

You can train your rabbit to know right from wrong to a certain extent - although we can't promise that even thought they'll know it's wrong, they wont do it!!

When your rabbit starts to nibble at something they shouldn't, say "no amber" in a deep warning tone voice. This may distract her for a moment, the next time she does it (probably straight away!!) clap your hands sharply twice saying "no amber" again this again will distract her. repeat this up to 3 times, on the third time, if she still carries on, get up and walk to her. She will probably run off, knowing that she's done something wrong!! If she doesn't, simply gently push her away from the nibbled object by her hind quarters. (in bunny language, a nip or nudge on the hind quarters of a rabbit is a signal to move).

This process will probably need a lot of repeating and perserverance. BUT the important thing (just like in supernanny!!) is to ALWAYS ensure that you carry out the stages in the same order and way, so that it can be learned. Eventually the rabbit will learn that "no amber" or even just "no" or "amber" said in a low warning tone means they shouldn't do it.

A final alternative is to get a small (very small) water pistol or cycle water bottle that you can squirt at her!! - sounds a little mean but it doesn't require a lot of water, just enough to cause a distraction. Use the water step in place of getting up and walking to her to remove her from the situation. The other ideal to this method is that they wont associate you with the water.

Rabbits are intelligent and can learn, however, they are also cheeky, and will probably try to test you and ignore you when they choose!! That's why it's important to always repeat the same pattern of instructions.

Back