• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

****urgent**** pregnant rabbit`

zoey-blogs

Warren Scout
ok so just got a rabbit from p@h got her home and i think she may be pregnant its not a problem its just how can you tell for sure????? he tunny is rather large and solid!!!

How old did they tell you she is?

You cant tell very easily if a rabbit is pregnant until the final stages when they pluck their fur and make a nest.

Maybe you could call the store and ask them to double check who she was housed with before you got her.

LOuisa

shes 12 week iv foned and theyv said its happend before and ther happy to help out in terms of housing and so on...... iv felt her tumy and its like ball....also her leg are further apart alongwith her back end being rather round compared to the rest of her

iv only had her say bout 15 mins

Hello

Do you know how old the Doe is?
Is she eating and pooing OK?
If not she may actually have BLOAT which is serious. Also Coccidiosis can cause a distended abdomen. If she is not eating/pooing or has diarrhoea you need to get her to a vet NOW.
If she is eating and pooing OK and behaving normally I'd take her to a Vet tomorrow so as she can be examined.
Pregnancy in a Rabbit is usually not detectable til the later stages.

Janex

Sounds more like bloat to me....... You can rarely tell that a rabbit is pregnant until late stages.

Plus, bloat is very prevalent in p@h stores. They have a single central supplier in Essex and the animals travel a long way and get really stressed which can cause bloat.

as i say iv only had her about 15-20 mins, she seems active altho sumtimes she is still. she is stamping her feet alot. i'm going to try her with food soon, she hasn't pooed or weed...yet, but she may still be in shock from coming back from the pet shop (being in a new environment and all)
Apparently she's around 12 weeks old...so the guy said, but shes very big for her age.
When i went to pick her up, her stomach was a "ball" and very detectable. im not familiar with how a pregnant rabbits tummy would feel but this is very odd if she is not expecting....the bump is literally a hard ball, not individual lumps so maybe she's in later stages?...i dont know, i need help and advice!

im gonna try and have a good feel of her tummy but its proving hard as she is running off lol. . .i dont think it is extremely solid there is softness to it.

Is she in the house? I would keep her in and see if she poos at all in the near future and see if she will eat anything. This is potentially very dangerous.

i put down a bowl of pellets, and she ate a few, but i have not seen any poos yet.
Yes shes indoors and very active.

***Make sure she gets plenty of hay, probiotic may be a good idea also?***
where can i get the probiotic from?

also iv managed to have a proper feel around and i cant feel any lumps...trip to the vets tomorra

Keep an eye on her, I got a baby bunny who was 9 weeks old. He was eating and running around like normal untill about 2 days after I had him he went downhill fast, he didnt eat and was hardly pooping. I took him straight the vets who gave him a few injections and said he had bloat but 2 hours later he died, probablybecause he was so young. Alternativly if she is pregnant.. goodluck!! and dont forget to post lots of pics!

If she's only 12 weeks old now there is no way she is heavily pregnant, as that would mean she conceived at only 8 weeks old. They only start to become mature from about 12 weeks (dependent on breed).

If she really is 12 weeks old, it is far more likely to be something like bloat, possibly coccidiosis or a poor diet thus far, I know of a number of rabbits who have come into rescue with very odd feeling stomachs (the best I can describe it is like porridge which is too thick!) which has cleared itself once the diet has been sorted.

If she stops/slows down eating, stops pooping, and/or sits in a hunched posture or is unusually 'quiet' for long periods of time, then she needs to see a vet ASAP. I'd definitely book her an appointment for tomorrow in any case.

Back