• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Containing the Hay!

LizJ

Warren Scout
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for containing hay for free range bunnies?

Obviously I expect that some will spread around the room, but at the moment Asta flings it everywhere and then won't eat it because she's trodden on it :roll:

I have tried putiing it in a basket, in a unused litter tray and stuffed in one of those twig bridges with a bottom attached. I can't think of anything else that doesn't need attaching to a wall (don't really want to attach to a wall in case it doesn't work and I'm left with a set of holes after each new idea :lol: ).

Any ideas? What do other free-range owners do?

i put Lola's in a big cardboard box and cut a hole out of the side so she can help herself to it without creating too much mess.

she seems to really enjoy it, plus she can rip the box to pieces too :)

Thanks for your replies - I have tried making a cube out of the grids but it was huge! Kind of like the one in the ebay link. I think I'll try the ebay one next.

Meanwhile ... off to find a big box! When I've done it before I cut a big hole so she pulled it all out - I'll try with a smaller hole and a bigger box this time so she has to go in the box with the hay ....

Thanks for the ideas :thumb:

I like to stuff loo roll tubes with hay - they like to chuck them about and not so much hay gets all over the place!

I still sweep up daily but putting the hay in tubes does make it a far quicker job!

AMETHYST

Mine have some in underbed storage boxes that are their litter trays. Then they have a grass ball and a 'rollin the hay' full
The grass ball was for hamsters which has holes in the sides but its great to stuff with hay. Rollin the hays you can get from petshops but also online.. here's what it is.. ive taken it off the stand so that it rolls around
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=396&pf_id=5594
I think i bought mine from ebay :wink: It can either stand on the floor, hang from the bars or roll on the floor.. has a little doorway that opens so you can fill it up :D

Back