• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

slugs and snails in hutches

Natassia

New Kit
The other night I noticed slugs and snails in my guinea pig and rabbit hutches, I got them out but are they dangerous? Obviously I can't put pellets down but is is safe to just leave them?
Natassia x

I've often found slugs and snails in my rabbits hutch, especially when its been raining. They seem to be heading for the food bowl as I've found a few shiny trails around it the next day. I pick the ones out that I see but I wouldnt worry about them, rabbits in the wild must meet slugs and snails all the time! :)

Think they woudl be more scared of the bunnies! I always find some in the run when it's been wet, but the bunnies don't seem bothered at all!

Urgh, they are disgusting. I often used to find 10 or more in Alices hutch actually in her food bowl! :x

I don't think they harm, but the slime can't be nice on their food. I tried all sorts to get rid of them, but nothing worked. I think you just have to put up with them...or bung them over your neighbours garden! :shock: :oops:

thanks, i probably sound really neurotic now! i just think the trails are a bit ugly and hate all the slime, but i think i'll just leave them!
Natassia x

No you dont sound neurotic at all, I was concerned last summer there were loads, but they dont seem dangerous or poisonous, they are eeuuchh thou.

AliBenMummy said:
Urgh, they are disgusting. I often used to find 10 or more in Alices hutch actually in her food bowl! :x

I don't think they harm, but the slime can't be nice on their food. I tried all sorts to get rid of them, but nothing worked. I think you just have to put up with them...or bung them over your neighbours garden! :shock: :oops:
Always the best option in my view!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

you can wrap copper wire (originaly intended to protect plants from slugs but adaptable) around the legs of the hutch.

...'When slugs make contact with copper, a toxic reaction occurs between the copper and the slime creating an electric current, and they get an electric shock which repels them. The benefits are that it works wet or dry, is very effective, and doesn't kill the slug. The copper must be at least 2" thick, preferably 3" to be a real deterrent. It can be bought as adhesive tape, or strips. Bury it in the ground a couple of inches to prevent them crawling under it, and bend the strips so the edge sticks out at an angle. This will help to put off the more determined slugs who are willing to put up with the discomfort. Copper can lose strength over time, so go over it with sandpaper from time to time.

The drawbacks are that it can be expensive, so use it sparingly, perhaps on containers, rather than the borders. The edges can be sharp, so keep away from where children play. If the plants overhang the copper strips, and touch other plants or the ground, this will act as a bridge, and slugs will climb straight over. Make sure that there are no slugs inside the area you are protecting, otherwise you are trapping them in with your plants.

Gardening tools are also available in copper. These have been said to have a beneficial effect on keeping slugs away from plants.'......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2876862

I had to post a reply when I saw slugs mentioned...
It still makes me smile to think about what happened last year. One had obviously got into Merlin's hutch overnight, as when I went out to him in the morning there was the slug next to his food bowl...in half!!!! Merlin had obviously decided to 'taste test' it & it was totally in two parts!!! Euuurrggghhh!! :lol: :lol: Funnily enough no slug has ever come back...!

Tried the copper tape around the hutch legs and have seen some improvement, although some still get in there. It's when you go out in winter and its dark and as you lift the bowl out of the hutch you realise you've got a handful of slug... :shock:

Here's one to gross you all out. When I had my baby angs, their hair wasn't long enough to cut, but was quite long. I got completely hysterical because I saw a huge cut on Dusk, she looked fine but you know what us bunny mum's are like. Anyway. took her in and found it wasn't a cut, but a huge slug that was all caught in her fur. I was nearly sick. The bf ran away screaming (men!) so I had to get it out with a chopstick and scissors. Dusk didn't even seem to realise.
I put vaseline around the legs of my hutches to stop them crawling up.

:shock: eugh that's gross!!!! :lol: :lol:
yes men, oh aren't they so brave?....my man runs away screaming if there is a spider!!! :roll:

Haa haa yes, the best was I asked the bf to get some dandelion leaves from a certain spot in the garden and he lept up and was screaming the place down. He'd found a frog lol!

Back