• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

decisions???

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Hello everyone,
Ok i know this is fairly early but i just want opinions,

I`m going on holiday in June for two weeks and my rabbit will be left at home with my sister and best mate as they are looking after all the animals while me and my family are away..
What it is, is my bun has a hutch and run (attached). i am currently in process of getting another run attached to allow him access to the grass when he likes.
Im deciding though wether to put my bun to a rabbit boarding place while i am away as my sister and best mate are not completly secure with the rabbit and wouldnt want to pick him up etc which means he would be left without really being handled for two weeks.
My Boyfriend phoned this boarding place near by today as we found the leaflet in P@H and she said she would take him, he would be in a one story hutch and she handles them and lets them on the grass for the majority of the day... Im just a bit concerned though as ive not actually put my bun anywhere before and i feel im taking him away from his home, and he is used to havin a two story hutch with run etc and feel im puting him into a smaller place and somwhere he doesnt know but again i feel its better for him to be handled and better cared for if he went...
Does anyone have any opinions on this or can help me make a decision, i know june is a bit away but would like to get him booked in and visit the place before if i decide to put him there...
Thanks,
Hayley xx

I personally would rather leave them in their own home even if it means he won't get handled as much as usual for a couple of weeks.

Personally, If it was a few days, I'd say leave him at home.

However, for two weeks, I'd probably board mine at the rescue centre where I got them. The woman there says that if you are going away for more than a couple of days, the rabbits will settle into the centre. Less then that and it is too much upheaval. I would just prefer knowing that someone knowledgeable was taking care of them.

I would say boarding - personal opinion ... over night I might let them stay with family....
But for the boarding - if you could I would take him for a weekend there... so he only has a couple of days and then when he goes for 2 weeks he will know he is coming home again... Thats what I did with mine and I know it helped so much.!

I'm inclined to say check out the boarding place for that length of time. I get the impression from you that you don't feel entirely comfortable with friends and relatives and 2 weeks is quite a while. Being boarded you know that someone rabbit "savvy" will be on hand.

Neil

I know! :? My sister and that have looked after him before but since then he has had problems with his teeth and needs on the grass loads, i am gettin the run before the holidays but that has a lil door as i wouldnt want him to have access over night as he has a habbit of digging, i just worry a bit that my sister and mate forget to open and close the door and i dont want him to be nervous or a bit jumpy after two weeks of no handling :? ,

I do fancy the boarding but really not 100% sure about it as i hate leaving my animals with people i dont know.. think i may visit the place first as might know for deff if i fancy it or now then :) Just dont want my bun to hate me :( x

We have 9 and have checked out a few places just in case we had an emergency. I'm sure I'd find it a terrible wrench leaving them but would take comfort in the fact that someone was prepared to take total responsibility for them and treat them as their own.

Neil

Neil-and-Maria said:
We have 9 and have checked out a few places just in case we had an emergency. I'm sure I'd find it a terrible wrench leaving them but would take comfort in the fact that someone was prepared to take total responsibility for them and treat them as their own.

Neil
Thats very true, thank you :D

Hi there!

I had the same dilema as you last year when i was going on holiday for 2 weeks. I opted for boarding with a lady that advertised at my vets. I left her all of my instructions for their diet and care etc and she said I could phone her whilst I was away to check they were all ok. It was during that very hot spell in july and she even covered the runs with damp sheets and had a mist spray on them to keep them cool, and had been checking their bums twice a day. They had better care with her than if I had left them with my family.

I may have been lucky to have a good experience, but I am using her again in June when I go away for the week. It wasn't cheap, but when i went to collect my buns, they were very well settled in the runs with lots of toys and boxes to play with!!!

Back