• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

strange fur clumps...?

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
I was giving Daffodil a good old cheek tickle last night, and noticed she had lots of hard bits in her fur (only on her cheeks)... I had a peek, and it's as though a fluid had dried into her fur - it is close to the skin, but not attached and there is only about 1-2mm of it in each clump and there are around 8 clumps on each side... What on earth is it!?!? :?

nope, just greens and some carrot...
I'm confused cos it's so close to her skin, it must've come from her pores :? they don't have scent glands there though... perhaps it's just build up from not grooming properly? I'll get a photo...
clumps.jpg

Here... as you can see - it's nothing major! :lol: Just seemed a bit odd

It's nothing to worry about. A couple of my bunnies get them on their faces. I think it must be stuff from their cheek glands.

How old is Daffodil? It tends to be my older bunnies that get them.

Sounds awful, but sometimes I can't help but tug them out. Ouch! :oops: Also the bunnies love to sniff them when you pull them out. Yuck!

Amy

CottonMather said:
Thanks for that! I didn't realise they had gland there, so was more confused than anything :lol:

I presume they must have cheek glands cos they seem to mark everything by rubbing their cheeks/chin on it.

Perhaps somebody can enlighten us????

i know rabbits have a sub-mandibular scent gland (the one under the chin) and I know that cats have them on their cheeks...
perhaps Daff is a cat/rabbit hybrid!? :lol:

:shock: :shock:

What a horrible thought...a bunny that not only poops and pees everywhere, but also coughs up hairballs and leaves dead mice on your doorstep!!

Back