• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is there a need 4 Vaccinations

yes, i'd recommend having them vaccinated. Myxomatosis and VHD are fatal diseases and there are no cures once infected :(

ok im probably going to get shouted at here but im going to say it anyway vhd i understand that if they get vaccinated against it they cant get it is that right? however myxi even when they are vaccinated they can still get it and die from it so what is the purpose of the myxi vac does it just increase the survival rate or what? :?

Hi Emily,

My Bun is a house bun but stil had to have them. You may be walking through a field one day or down the street and get the infection on your clothes and you could risk bringing it to them.

It is a must have for any Rabbit if you want to make sure they are fit and healthy, which i'm sure you do X

Myxy is transmitted by fleas or other biting insects so house rabbits can still contract it.
VHD is spread by contact between rabbits but also via indirect contact such as from people, clothing, on shoes, other objects and fleas.
No rabbit is safe from contracting these diseases.
Sometimes a vaccinated rabbit will get these diseases but they may survive. They are a lot less likely to get them if vaccinated.
It is up to you if you want to risk it or not. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if any of my rabbits contracted these diseases and i hadn't had them vaccinated.

if it only increases there survival rate then im not convinced tbh because im not sure id want to put my bunny through that if they did catch it on the chance that they might survive, no offence to anyone that has nursed a bunny through it though im not saying thats right or wrong its just my opinion

well no vaccine whether for humans or animals is 100% effective! But it is definately worth having the myxi it would greatly increase survival rates if they did contract the disease but in most cases would prevent it! I think sometimes when vaccinated rabbits have contracted myxi it has been because of a faulty batch.

Ahh i see thats different then, if it actually lowers the chance of them getting it in the first place then of course its worth it, ignore me :oops:

Vix said:
if it only increases there survival rate then im not convinced tbh because im not sure id want to put my bunny through that if they did catch it on the chance that they might survive, no offence to anyone that has nursed a bunny through it though im not saying thats right or wrong its just my opinion

it doesn't only increase the survival rate, it increases the chance that they won't get it in the first place!
Most rabbits who contract myxy will die anyway. It is in the rabbits best interests to be vaccinated so it doesn't contract the disease but the vaccination isn't always 100% effective. I think for the sake of £12-20 i'd rather they had it.

It is like 30 per vaccine for 2 rabbits after them being speyed and castrated is alot of money and i am getting them a huge new double storey indoor hutch! ( I wil get them done but how urgent is it?

I've seen quite a few warnings about Myxi (I think) going around in certain areas. I wouldn't risk it. For £60 i'd get them done now personally.

Its a good idea to get them done now as insects are starting to appear with the warm weather. They will then be protected over the warmer months.
Rabbits are very expensive pets to keep. I have just payed £160 to have my four vaccinated. Their hutches cost me £300 and i paid £200 to have them all neutered and spayed. They are worth it though :D

very urgent and i know its a pain I have 3 that need vaccinating this month, 2 next month as well as 2 that need spaying, my vets is expensive too, so thats £300 I'm spending!!! :shock: but at the end of the day if you can't afford them you shouldn't have them, rabbits are expensive creatures!

Hello

It is generally advised that all Rabbits aged 6 weeks onwards have an annual vaccination against Myxomatosis. In high risk areas (rural areas, areas near stagnant ponds etc ) it is advisable to get the Myxi vaccination done every 6 months.
As others have pointed out Myxomatosis is spread by biting insects such as fleas and mosquitos. So even though your Rabbit is indoors it is unlikely you could stop all possible vectors getting into the house.

There are now 2 VHD vaccines available. The one called 'CYLAP' can be given to Buns from the age of 10 weeks. The newer Vaccine is called 'LAPINJECT' This can be given to Buns from 6 weeks onwards.

As any vaccine depends on a good immune response from the individual Rabbit it can never be said that any vaccine is 100% effective. This applies to vaccines given to other animals and humans too.

If, for whatever reason, the Bun does not have a good immune response to a vaccine (ie does not produce antibodies to 'fight it' ) then the vaccine will be less effective should the 'real disease' be contracted.

At the moment it is still advised that there is a 14 day gap between giving the Myxi and VHD Vaccine.

Yes, sadly some vaccinated Rabbits will still contract these horrible Diseases, but as things currently stand it appears that they do have some chance of survival.

There are Homeopathic Vaccines but I do not know enough about them yet and so at the moment am sticking with conventional vaccinations for my Rabbits. I had a long chat with a Vet from Austria today who has also had alot of training in Veterinary Homeopathy. She says that at the moment Vaccinations are the ONLY thing she would not use a Homeopathic Treatment for.

Phew, hope this epic post has not made you fall asleep :lol:

Janex

touie said:
well no vaccine whether for humans or animals is 100% effective! But it is definately worth having the myxi it would greatly increase survival rates if they did contract the disease but in most cases would prevent it! I think sometimes when vaccinated rabbits have contracted myxi it has been because of a faulty batch.

Or it had been given incorrectly, I lost 2 buns to Myxi a week before there booster was due last September my other four buns did not get it, i am sure it was due to the vet giving the jab incorrectly to them both.

I wouldnt risk not giving a Bun a jab whether they are kept indoors or not, they can still contract it. My vets charge £14 but i then get a discount becuase i take 5 in one go (1 is due in June)

I have never had a rabbit vaccinated in my life but that was mainly my dads idea as i was to young to know about these things back then. I only heard about Myxi and VHD from here and my vet at Buttons check up so now i need to save quicly for my 5 buns.

It's worth ringing round your local vets for a price too, I paid £8 for myxi and £11 for vhd, so £38 for both buns. It will cost you a lot more if they need treatment, even to diagnose myxi and pts would be more than that.

Also, you need to start saving for the neuter/spay (sorry, don't know what sex your buns are), again fairly vital if you don't want bucks to spray you and your furniture and if you have two does it's likely they'll fight once they reach maturity unless spayed and the majority of rabbits develop uterine cancer without being spayed. And obviously if you have a male and female you'll end up with a lot more than two :wink: :lol:

Rabbits do cost more than you think they will

Back