• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help

Mrs_Molly

Young Bun
i recently asked about diarhera. molly is in a mess as it was very runny, shall i put her in the bath or leave her to sort herself out??

I would try wiping her with a wet flannel or some baby wipes rather than bathing her. Has she seen a vet as diarrohea can be quite serious for a rabbit. What has she been eating and how old is she? Does she seem ill or is she quite perky?

Mrs_Molly said:
shes 6 weeks but i think i fed her 2 many greens she seems jsut fine in herself

Is she a Bun you have bred yourself? Its just that 6 weeks is rather young for a Baby to leave Mum :? :cry:
Diarrhoea in a baby bun can be life threatening and I really would advise you to seek Veterinary care for her ASAP. Babies that young can dehydrate so quickly and I'd hate for that to happen to your little one

Janex

She is too young to have greens yet. Baby rabbits should stay with their mums until at least 8 weeks old. Where did you get her from?

She should only be fed hay and some dry pellet food at this age. It is important that she eats the same food she had at her previous home with her mum. Rabbits don't cope very well at all with changes in diet.

Don't try her with greens until she is at least 12 weeks old and only give her the tiniest bit of broccoli or parsley to start with. If she is ok after having a very small amount after a week then you can try her with another veg such as spring greens. Just give her very tiny portions to start with. A rabbits main diet should be hay anyway as its good for their digestion system and also the chewing of it stops their teeth overgrowing.

o ok i dint no tht. i got her from a pet shop on saturday. her main diet is hay and dry pellets and she seemed fine on tht so i shall stick with it. its seems to be passing now but she has seemed fine all the time

Mrs_Molly said:
o ok i dint no tht. i got her from a pet shop on saturday. her main diet is hay and dry pellets and she seemed fine on tht so i shall stick with it. its seems to be passing now but she has seemed fine all the time

I am not certain but I believe it is illegal for Baby Rabbits to be sold under the age of 8 weeks. I think you need to contact the local council who issue the licence to enable Petshops to sell livestock as they may want to review/revoke the licence if animals are being sold at a too young age

Janex

I would get her cleaned up as she is at risk from fly strike if she has a dirty bottom. Make sure she is warm and dry though. Does she live inside or outside?

Is the diarrhoea like a liquid or just a squidgy poo?

I would take her to the vet anyway just to make sure she is ok. You can also talk to the vet about vaccinations as she will need them at 12 weeks and they will check her sex is correct and look at her teeth.

Back