• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hi, im new and need help!!

DDD

Mama Doe
Hello. My name is Debbie and ive just joined the forum

I am in need of some help please. I was given a 12 week old male Rex at the weekend and as rabbits are supposed to be friendly and live in pairs i thought i'd get him a friend. I went and got a new rabbit today but he hates him. i am introducing them on neutral territory but its still not working. agh. do i stick at it or will i have to get a new cage for the new rabbit?

Hello There :wave:,

Are both bunnies male? If yes, then most probably you'd be better getting them both housed in nice big hutches, and then waiting until they are neutered, taking them to a rescue and finding a nice rescue bunfriend for them both :) Xx

neither are neutered as not big enough. i feel bad now as have made the one i got yesterday in a mood and the other one is lovely and so cant take him back to the shop???

they actually had hold of each others faces. no injuries but cant put them together again can i as dont want a massacre

they must be kept separate until they are old enough to neuter. If they are both boys their testicles should drop at around 4-5 months and they will then be able to be neutered. It is advisable to wait for 6 weeks after the op for the hormones to die down before introducing them on neutral territory (a lot of people use the bathroom for this)
Two males don't always get on very well though even when neutered. A neutered male and spayed female pairing usually works best.

Did you ask the shop whether it would be ok to put the new rabbit with the one you had? If so you should go back and complain to them so they don't give out the wrong advice to other people!

they said they 'may' not get along, but that rabbits like companions. they were both living with others before just fine. i feel silly now having them both

Estelle said:
they must be kept separate until they are old enough to neuter. If they are both boys their testicles should drop at around 4-5 months and they will then be able to be neutered. It is advisable to wait for 6 weeks after the op for the hormones to die down before introducing them on neutral territory (a lot of people use the bathroom for this)
Two males don't always get on very well though even when neutered. A neutered male and spayed female pairing usually works best.

Did you ask the shop whether it would be ok to put the new rabbit with the one you had? If so you should go back and complain to them so they don't give out the wrong advice to other people!

MrsDavis said:
they said they 'may' not get along, but that rabbits like companions. they were both living with others before just fine. i feel silly now having them both

Estelle said:

You were only acting on advice from the seller. Its not your fault the advice was inaccurate.
Is the other Rabbit a boy too? I certainly would not trust what the seller told you and would get the Buns sex confirmed by a Vet.
You could maybe keep them both seperate til they are neutered and then as suggested by Becki, get some help with bonding them. If they are both Bucks bonding may be more difficult but its not impossible. Two Does can be equally tricky.

Janex

MrsDavis said:

don't worry, you don't need to feel silly! Have you got two separate hutches or cages to keep them in for now?

They were probably ok with their own litter mates but the new rabbits will smell differently. They are also turning into teenage bunnies and becoming very hormonal and territorial.

Are you going to keep them both?

Rabbits do like to have a companion but they can be fussy who they like which is why a lot of people take their rabbit to a rescue and let them choose their own friend!
I was lucky with mine that they got on well. It easier to wait until they get a bit older so you can work out what kind of personality they have. Some rabbits are very easy going and like most other rabbits, but some rabbits can be stroppy and fussy about who they like!

Back