• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new welfare bill

elaine

Mama Doe
I am wondering what people think of it now it is to become law at weekend??

I can see where it is coming from but how can rescues have these mega huge cages that are now needed mainly due to space, and the fact that no pet shops sell them??

And what is going to happen to all these unwanted rabbits as there will be very few rescues that have these sized cages??

I wonder if this means that they will all be pts

I am hoping that the RSPCA accept that rescues are half-way homes for unwanted pets and so smaller cages..within reason ..are acceptable for rabbits whilst looking for new permanent homes.
Permanent homes should have the minimum size stated.
We would not be able to have as many buns as we do if we have to stick to the bill..and that might mean all RSPCA's would get even more bunnies handed in and have to put more unwanted buns to sleep..so here's hoping.
My local RSPCA inspector has visited me and said she is happy with what we do......lets hope it stays that way and they concentrate on the bad situations we are all aware of.
I'm hoping we do not become "easy Targets" for enforcing the law.

Last edited:
pet shops can get round it by saying they are selling them for run covers etc...but I think they should be made to stop selling them altogether.
That would solve most of the problem of small housing and put some people off buying a bn altogether due to the space needed and the money for a larger hutch.

Even if pet shops were only permitted to sell large hutches, the public are still allowed to buy animals from them and no one will be home checking them to see that their accomodation is up to the standards set.

Anyone can just knock together a hutch (we've all seen the type of setups for sale on ebay that are homemade) so I don't see how it will be enforcible to the people that are REALLY in need of guidance on how to keep pets in humane conditions.

Kate

jill

According to my local ACO we will have to have the huge hutches and runs and there is no way round it even though they are only here temporary, which means that there will be lots more rabbits with nowhere to go, I certainly won't be continuing as it will be impossible to do and the cost of replacing all the existing hutches.

I will have to see what happens come weekend

Elaine

What is the minimum hutch size going to be?

It's very shortsighted to make rescues get larger hutches as more rabbits will suffer in the longterm, surely it should be viewed as a temporary home rather than permanent accommodation, no common sense whatsoever :roll:

i think there will be ways round this- if you read the document it states that the minimum sizes do not apply to rabbits bred for meat :cry: , so I would think there would be exemptions for rescues also.

I'll have a proper read through when I get the chance.

So they would rather put the bunnies to sleep than give them a temporary home in a 4 or 5 ft hutch???

What about breeders? Their hutches are often overcrowded and only 3 or 4 ft big.

Thanks for the link, mandy. :D

I have never come across a 6 ft by 3 ft by 3 ft hutch anywhere, mine is 6 x2 x 2 and the biggest I could find.

I wish there was a law for the minimum size of bedrooms in houses, too. :lol:

mandy said:
i think there will be ways round this- if you read the document it states that the minimum sizes do not apply to rabbits bred for meat :cry: , so I would think there would be exemptions for rescues also.

Why should there be an exception for rabbits that are bread for meat? Don't they deserve a good life (even if short), too? :?

Bavarian Bunny said:
mandy said:

Why should there be an exception for rabbits that are bread for meat? Don't they deserve a good life (even if short), too? :?

Well there should be no difference, but unfortunately many people seem to think animals bred for meat dont deserve the same considerations as pets.

I could not find the page that says which size hutch etc. you need to have. All I found was lots of complicated legal English. :shock:

I got the sizes through my local branch at a meeting, apparantly all rescues will be inspected by a "trained" welfare law inspector and they will decide if you get through or not,

The way I take that is most rescues won't and we will become a target.

Apparantly it is going to be very hard to get through and even bird rescues won't and even their own people who do rescue may not including their own shelters.

I think it is going to be a interesting few months, I dread to think how many animals will be pts

Back