• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

red lump on eyelid sore looking

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
last night we noticed a red path around berites eye it looked very sore..but sometimes rew do look like that. On closer inspection( hed been cuddled a lot during the day ont he floor like he loves and it wasnt spotted then) last night we saw he had a red patch onhis upper eyelid..well just above it but it was afefcting the eyelid..it was swollen and had a blood ***** mark on it. I bathed it in salt water ( not the inner eyelid the bit above it!) and Bif was furiously cleaningit for him.
he seeemd fine in himself and i know bif n himhad aright royalpuch up the day before.i tried to sperate them by pushing a oty dog in between them it didnt work so i squirted them both.they were loved up 5 mins later.
this morning thees a huge pile of soft poo from bertie..highly unusual...but we also found an adult flea on his head last night no flea grit but an adult flea so we did all of them cept new bunny with advantage and he manages to scratch at it and lick it off no matter where we or the vet puts it!
maybe it was a flea bite..maybe a bif bite..maybe a bif scratch or maybe a kitten scratch as salem goes nuts rubbing himslef al over bertie n purring n drooling and 90% of the time bertie loves it too but then sometimes an excited claw might appear whilst salems do treading thin air..dumb moggie!
it hink its more liely a scarp with bif or a flea bite cos hes diggin at it with his foot today and the swellinga gone.no sign of blood or pus..nothing just like it went down like a deflated ballooon!
i cant get an appointment today and couldnt get to the emrgency vet its so far away itd cost me over £60 in taxi fare! but i was willing to try and find an animal ambulance..
but then the vet from the hospital i cant get to rang me..she said it sounded like aburst abscess but i said it was no pus..she said its cos between me n bif weve kept it clean for him..hes bright eyed bushy tailed and scoffing..and scratched once with his back foot.
were going to see the vet 2moro..sadly not petras day on which im not looking forward to but hey!
his eyes fully open no discharge etc so i hope hell last till then..the vet said were doing best thing bathing it anyway and the fact hes ok inhimself is goodf. bif had a smaller one same last night..its gone this morning..no trace whatsoever but berties is red and bald! thanks to bif no doubt!

well he saw the vet astand in one as i didntthink hed be able to wait until thursday..wished id waited now! his eye doesnt look quite as bad as it did but theres a small pus spot on edge of inner eyelid and the rest is allred n pufy..first thought myxi..shes checked his bits n ears said no swelling..
i thought ok but thens he said kep him awya from other buns incase..um bit late for that eh..
i said hes not himself bit off and hes a grouch and iw ant happy with a pus head appearing so i asked if he needed antibiotics..no no cream the eye is good she said wiht ther broken english..uhum i mant a jab just in case cos of the pus..does he need one? oh yes itll help if you likeshe said..omg one of those days!
stillnew bun is seeing petra thursday morn for her myxi jab and to arrange when shes best time for spaying..being larger bun id say 6 months but our old dwarf lop was 4 and half months when we had to get her done..she was the bunny from h e l l !!
if bertie doesnt look any better by then ill demand a double booking just to check his eye with petra..
mm me got dentist tomorrow at thehospital will be sat in waiting area for most of the day i bet..then thursday morn vets..roll onf riday im pooped and its only tuesday! :shock:

Hi. Have you noticed any other spots appearing anywhere else on her at all? I only ask as Floss's nodular myxi started the same way. A bitof a swelling above her eye follwed by a very slightly amount of pus appearing in the corner of the same eye. I took her to the vet and saw one of the other vets in the practice who gave me some cream for the eye but a few days later the eye was worse and she had another spot on the other side of her head. Kevin saw her this time and realised that she was actually presenting with nodular myxi. The lumps(very small nodular spots) started to appear all over her body,but not on her ears or genital area which are the areas most people associate with the appearance of myxi lumps. Thankfully she'd been vaccinated and nodular myxi is a less virulent strain anyway, so she made a complete recovery. She never actually seemed ill at any point..just a bit lumpy and threadbare!! I'm sure Bertie will be fine and it will just turn out to be a simple eye infection, but I just wanted to tell you my experience so that you are aware.

Back