• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Substitute

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi,
My bunny wont eat hay.......at all! I have tried everything but the only thing he has eaten is the simply grass from thehayexperts. Is this an ok substitute for hay? If he eat too much are there any side effects??

Thanks
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte! Dried grass is a good thing for buns to eat, especially if they won't touch other hay. As long as Paddy is not producing too many caecotrophes, then I wouldn't worry how much he eats. If he produces excess caecotrophes and doesn't eat them, it means his diet is a bit too high in protein (dried grass can be high in protein - have you looked at the packet to see what protein percentage it has?) Are you feeding a high fibre pellet as well? Claire x

I was just about to link to that thread Helen :lol:

Could you maybe put the hay in a food bowl? Im sure he will know that is for eating out of and might encourage him to taste it :D

What kind of diet is he on at the moment?
Caecatrophs aren't the only issues - they need the hay to wear downtheir teeth too and its hard to do this without hay.

Hi he currently eats a big handful of excel pellets (i did try small handfuls but as he still wasnt eating his hay I didnt want him to starve!!) in the morning with hay avaliable all day and then before he goes to sleep I give him a some spring greens and either bits of carrot or broccoli or something like that. I ordered the sample pack from the hay experts and have tried each one. I bought him an identical bowl to the one he gets his normal food in but he started taking the hay out and leaving it by the door for me!! :lol:
His poops look fine, I have no worries (so far!!) about that. He also had his teeth checked recently and the vet said they look fine, nothing to worry about but he is only 11 monthes so any problems will start soon Im guessing :?

Charlotte

The only hay Travis will eat is "bob Martin" Meadow hay - Sainsburys or the Excel Herbage (P@H). He has severe ongoing dental problems, so getting him to eat hay is very important. I put fresh hay in his litter tray and also on a tray in his cage, stuffing it inside toilet roll tubes is a good toy then too. Not alternatively, but as an accompaniment, you could also try feeding dried leaves (bunny basics.net have a good selection) dried blackberry.strawberry/raspberry leaves will do a similar job, but should be fed as a treat. My rabbits also have veg that will create a similar jaw movement - thus grinding the teeth down - as eating hay, such as spring greens and herbs. :D

Can you mix some simply grass in with some normal hay and see if your rabbit will eat some that way.

Will he eat grass, if so can you cut some each day? If he eats grass can you grow some different grasses in pots and let it grow long, either then feed from the pot or cut and feed it to the rabbit.

I have tried to mix it in with other hay but he just seems to pick out the grass or leave it! I have even tried other types of grass but he just eats the simply grass from the hay experts! Ive bought him a few nibble blocks to give him every now and again that are herb flavoured from the hay experts to try and help wear his teeth down.
Charlotte

About about fresh grass picked from your garden? That's just as good as hay - though you need to build up the quantity gradually :)

I dont think my mum and dad would be too impressed with a baldy garden!! :? I may have to ask neighbours politely!!!! Or grow my own!

:lol: Luckily grass is quite easy to grow. You can grow it is a seed tray on the window sill and then give him the whole tray to munch. When he's done remove it again for awhile so the grass can grow back :)

I grow my own trays of grass, for the bunnies. It is very easy and doesn't take long to do, The Hay Experts sell kits.

You could try reducing his number of pellets and giving him a variety of different types of hay/grass (you can get taster packs), he may surprise you.

My lot like hay but I mix lots of other stuff into it for variety. Pampered Piggies sell lots of dried leaves that seem to be a hit with my two. I think you just have to keep trying stuff, although all rabbits have their preferences.

Back