• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny is nipping, can you help?

emilyarc

Warren Scout
My female cross dutch (4mths) is abit of a nipper. She is a house rabbit with her friend a mini lop boy. When i let her out in my room she chews everything any way to discourage this?
Also when she come on my lap or sniffs around me she sometimes goes for a nip not violently but i was wondering how can i avoid this and stop her doing it?

Scarlett kind of nibbles me but its not really nipping. To stop mine chewing furniture and stuff I give them loads of wooden chew toys and rattles and things to throw about :D

Can't give you any advice I'm afraid, just thought I'd let you know you're not on your own!!! My 9 month old Lionhead nips me all the time - on the bits that stick out the most if you know what I mean!! :oops: I'll be keeping my eye on here for advice too!

Vic

Most rabbit nips I ignore, if their of the 'move over I want to get past' variety.

However, if you are being nipped painfully and often, you could try squealing, it is supposed to work!

Is she speyed - I would guess not at that age. It could be part of hormonal behaviour and would very likely be improved with speying :D

How long ago was she spayed? My girly was just spayed on Tuesday and she is nipping a bit since the op. I think it takes a few weeks for their hormones to calm down :D

Are you sure she is 4 months old then? 3 months is very early to spay - my vet wouldn't.

My boy buns hormones took about 6 weeks after neuter to calm down, so she may need longer.

There was a link on here to bunny behaviour a while back. It told you how to react to a nip. You should never shout or flap your hands, as that would make them see your hands as a threat.

I'd find the link, but search is bust :?

Are you sure she is 4 months old then? 3 months is very early to spay - my vet wouldn't

I was just thinking that, my vet wouldnt spay Scarlett until she was 6 months :?

I remember the bunny behaviour thread :lol: I think it was something like to let your bunny know you arent happy with her behaviour, you go quite close to them and then turn your back to the bunny and start grooming yourself (brushing your hair) Stay on the floor and wait until they come to you and groom you or asked to be groomed or something and that is them trying to make up with you :D

I thought I had the link to the website saved on my computer but I dont :(

Anyway it seemed to make a difference when Scarlett kept trying to jump into the bin :roll: She doesnt go near the bin now :lol:

I hope im thinking of the same thing as you or I will sound like a right nutter :lol: Was it the one with the link to the website that said to flip your head about to make your bun think you are binkying :?:

Back