• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

derby pets at home

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
has changed :shock:

i went in there yesterday, and they have seperated the buns and guinea pigs and they ahve an adoption corner, but sadly the bunnies are behind glass instead of mesh now :(

but still, i'm not sure about the adoption corner, they say support adoption whilst they are selling animals aswell :?

very good idea that the buns and pigs are seperate... so many people that come into our shop and even one of the girls i work with think that they are "perfect partners"... I don't think so! So it's very good that a pet shop is selling them correctly...

adoption corner is a start too.

Went into my local P@H today too and was so please to see they have seperated the guineas and pigs, they had toys too. Although some rabbits were in indoor cages, fairly small ones, dotted around by themselves, I heard an assistant saying it was because they didnt like the other rabbits :roll:

I have been in discussion with a regional Pets at Home manager about adoption corner, part of their 'charitable foundation'.

My concern was that an 'adoption' rabbit had a sign up saying 'mustn't get to live with other rabbits as extremely agressive'. I queried whether bun was neutered etc. and regional manager phoned me back to say no he was an unneutered male. :shock: I asked where the info came from about his agression and the manager told me that was what the lady who handed him in told the staff about him. I was so disappointed that they hadn't taken the time to work out his character and took the word of an owner who was giving him up. If all the rescues on here spoke of their bunnies in the way many of their previous owners described them, then I'm sure few of them would be represented correctly.

I told this regional manager that this was, in my opinion, no way to run an adoption centre.

Sorry to butt in on this thread

Fiona x

What are they doing with regards to the adoption centre? Is there a charge for re-homing a bun from there? Just wondering if there is any difference between their adoption centre and their pet shop policies.

crazyrabbitlady said:
What are they doing with regards to the adoption centre? Is there a charge for re-homing a bun from there? Just wondering if there is any difference between their adoption centre and their pet shop policies.

Appears not, regional manager of my local stores could not explain the difference to me when I asked.

I just have an awful feeling it might do more harm than good to some of the bunnies.

Say they are taken to the adoption centre, then someone gets them from there on impulse then decides they don't want them and takes them back. It could carry on in a cycle like that for some bunnies.

I don't like the idea that anyone can walk into a shop and buy an animal. When I saw Snoopy in the pet shop I considered it for 2 days (I know that's not long but I had had rabbits beforehand and knew what it entailed) before deciding I could give her a good home. I think half the fun in having animals is planning for their arrival and getting excited about it!

I share the same concerns about this. I told the regioanl manager I spoke that they should, in my opinion, consider provision of permanent funding to their local rescues as well as what they are doing. He told me his mobile was ringing at that point and had to go.

I think that if they want to go into the whole rehoming side of things they should open sepearate adoption centres and have home checks and everything like other places.

I think they are trying to make it sound like they are trying to help animals but I can't help but think that they just want to make money. Especially since a lot of animals they sell probably end up rehomed. Percentage wise it is probably no more than other pet shops but the sheer number of stores means that the actual number of unwanted animals from their company is huge.

I know that they used to raise money for dogs for the disabled and the blue cross, but now all donated money goes to this charitable foundation for the adoption centres. I am questioning their motives :?

Back