• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel forage

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I brought Audrey some Excel forage which is dried grass and she absolutely loves it.

It says it is more nutritious than hay and also good for teeth.

Anyone else's bunns tried it?

:lol:

I was quite suprised she liked it so much as it comes in those vaccumm packs and I always think they're probably not as fresh and tasty!

Just a quick word of warning re the dried grass forages. SOME buns can get a bloaty tum if they eat too much of it. Not sure if its due to the higher protein content :?

Janex

oh no really :( I'll be careful not to give too much then as Audrey's obviously prone to that, thanks.

I do think the wording is a bit misleading - most people would naturally assume that "more nutritious" means that it is better, but I'm not convinced that this is the case. As Jane says, I think that it is fine as an additional source of fibre for teeth grinding, but I also think it's too rich for many buns to feed ad lib instead of hay.

I don't feed it at all now, as I've had piggies get bloated on it, and don't want to risk anything with my bloomin' delicate bunnies! :shock: :)

My Buns all love Readigrass but I had a nightmare scenario of 6 Buns with bloat cos I fed too much of it :oops: :cry:
Now those 6 Buns dont get any of it and the rest get a small amount once or twice a week. They do hoover it up though!!

Janex

Just a quick word of warning re the dried grass forages. SOME buns can get a bloaty tum if they eat too much of it. Not sure if its due to the higher protein content

Thanks I didnt know that :D Luckily I have only been putting a small handfull on their hay

the hay expert's timothy and rye is Typical Analysis: Moisture: 10.2%, Ash: 8.3%, Protein: 5.5%, Fibre: 37.1% according to their website :D

no probs just happned that i was browsing THE at the same time as reading this and had jsut looked through the hay section and remember seeing it :lol:

:shock:

I have been giving a handfull twice a week, think I will just sprinkle a tiny bit on their hay once a week.

Thats only twice they have had it though since I only got it last week :lol:

Back