• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New owner

icklep360

Warren Scout
Looking for some advice, I purchased a Dwarf Lop rabbit, but am now wondering if his cage is going to large enough. It's a double tier, 112cm long by 51cm wide. I haven't been able to find how big size wise they get only that ideal show weight is 4.8lb.

Does this sound big enough for him?

The short answer is - probably not! Ideally you need a five or six foot hutch that is 2 foot deep and 2 foot high - so they can stretch out to full height. A double hutch obviously increases floor space a bit but you have to bare in mind that you loose space due to the ramp and the hole.
Its also a good idea to have a ssecure run permanently attatched to the hutch so that they can get a bit of excercie and fresh air whenever they feel like it.
It does all depend on "out" time as well. If you have a large, secure run in the garden that the rabbit is in for a good many hours during the day then its not so much a problem if you don't have an attatched run or a really large hutch. But rabbits do need plenty of room to excercise so that they stay happy and healthy :D
Have a look here;
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21436
It has some good examples of nice housing set ups.

Hope that helps :D

Is this a hutch or a cage? If it's a hutch for an outdoor bun then it is way too small. If it's an indoor cage it is still too small unless it is only used as a base for a free ranging house bun, but it is definitely much too small to keep him confined to it for any length of time. Presumably there is some sort of ramp between the two levels...this reduces the overall floor space availble to the rabbit. Could you perhaps post a pic of the rabbit in the cage?

Oh my god, thanks guys. Its a 'SAGE' double tier from P@H, spoke to them about it and the were really convincing that this would do him :(
Looks like I'll be going shopping again. Silly me for taking them at their word

I would take it back and complain, get your money back! :D
Dog crates make ideal indoor rabbit cages. I have a 4ft one from ebay which cost me £30 plus postage. You can put a shelf halfway to make it two tier as well :D

Sage House is more suited to guineapigs, so you could always keep it and get a pair of piggies as well!!!

Dwarf Lops aren't dwarf at all, I read that refers to their ears - MJ who is the Black and White in my signature is a 'dwarf lop' and is huge, when he stretches upwards he needs a good two and a half foot headroom to stand on his back legs.

Have you looked on ebay? Happy hutch do a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch over a 6 x 4 run for £110 (ish) which is better value than anything you can buy at P@H

Welcome to RU btw, it's a fantastic site for rabbit advice, I've learnt so much in the past year since I got my buns :)

Back