• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PLEASE HELP! Pain Relief for buns

Hello.

My buns, Loxley, has been unwell for about 2/3 weeks during which time I have been going back and forth to the vet about it. He basically lost his appetite and the vets can't find anything specifically wrong - checked teeth, heart, lungs etc etc.

I have had Loxley 10 years so he is getting on a bit. On Friday the vet gave him a pain relief injection just on the off chance that he isn't eating because of pain (arthritis?) and it did make a HUGE difference until Sat afternoon and now he is back to being miserable and not interested in anything including food.

I will take him straight back to the vets on Monday but in the meantime does anyone know of anything I can do or give him to relieve pain until I can get him seen? He seems so miserable and it is horrid to see him like that. Foodwise I am syringe feeding him baby food so that should keep him going.

Any advice would be hugely, hugely appreciated. Thanks! Emily

Hello Emily

I think if your Bun is in pain you need to contact the Vet again TODAY. We are not qualified to advise you to administer any medication. I am sure your Vet must have an 'out of hours' service. If you call the normal surgery number there should be a message telling you the number to contact in an emergency.
Meantime I'd keep going with the syringe feeds and keep your Bun indoors in the warm (not too hot though)

Please let us know how you get on

Janex

I'm not sure that there is anything you can give to buns 'over the counter' for pain relief. I wish there was.

Can you not ring an out of hours vet for an injection today?

If not, perhaps when you see your vet tomorrow, see if there is anything you can give him at home.

Sorry not be of more help.

Im sure i read somewhere that small amounts of calpol can be given but I cant remember the dosage. I would see a vet anyway as the cause needs to be established before treating the symptoms.

My Vet does not agree with giving Calpol to Buns. She says the Paracetamol it contains can cause lots of problems as an anorexic Bun's Liver Function is already likely to be compromised.

I hope you managed to speak with a Vet today

Janex

I agree, you need to try and get to a vets again today. I believe the pain relief medicatio does last about 24 hours so if it was given friday and there was imporvement until saturday then it does sound like pain is a problem.
Hope you can get your bun sorted. 10 is a great age, so he must be a well loved pet.

He's had the symptoms for over a fortnight so I don't think the vet would appreciate an emergency call out on a Sunday when they have already seen him 4 times with those same symptoms within the last two weeks and will see him again in just over 12 hours time.

He is a house rabbit, so is indoors anyway, so won't be getting cold.

Thanks for your help. Keep any ideas coming!

I don't think the vet would appreciate an emergency call out on a Sunday

I kind of think thats the vets job :? It doesnt matter that he has already seen your bunny or if he will be seeing him in the next 12 hours. If your bunny needs pain relief now thats what the out of hours vet service is for :?

if pain relief has made such a differance to his behaviour and more importantly his appatite i would ring the vets asap for an emergancy appoinment. if pain makes a rabbit unwilling to eat digestive problems including stasis can develop very quickly.

Please don't feel that you shouldn't call your vet. The pain relief has helped him considerably and has now worn off and it sounds as if he needs further. If he could talk he would be telling you, but his return of symptoms is. Vets get paid and you will not be the first one of his patients to call him out of hours tonight. Some vets are not too hot on giving bunnies pain relief, even after surgery, and they do need it.

Back