• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

e cuniculi what does this mean for my buns?

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Following a previous post regarding a funny eye with my frenchie jacks - jane kindly responded that the symptoms could possibly be e cuniculi. i have since had my vet out to look at her and he thinks that it probably is this and we are going to treat her for it. the only other thing it could be is a tumour so i'm hoping in a way that it is the former.
thing is i have 7 others!!!!!!!!!!
what does this mean for all my lovely buns and what precautionary measures should i be taking? no other buns are showing any of the signs at present but isolating her is not really an option.
thank you very much in advance!!!!!

When my Beau was being treated for EC I was told by the vet and people on here to keep him away from my other buns :D And when my girl managed to get into him near the end of his course of Panacur :oops: I had to take her to the vet and she was also treated :D

montyflossy said:
Following a previous post regarding a funny eye with my frenchie jacks - jane kindly responded that the symptoms could possibly be e cuniculi. i have since had my vet out to look at her and he thinks that it probably is this and we are going to treat her for it. the only other thing it could be is a tumour so i'm hoping in a way that it is the former.
thing is i have 7 others!!!!!!!!!!
what does this mean for all my lovely buns and what precautionary measures should i be taking? no other buns are showing any of the signs at present but isolating her is not really an option.
thank you very much in advance!!!!!

Isolating your Frenchie now is not going to make a difference. You do need to treat ALL the other Buns with PANACUR too. This is what your Vet is likely to prescribe for your Frenchie. Your Vet will no doubt explain about treating the in-contact Buns as the EC spores are excreted in the infected Buns wee.

I have just had an email from the RWA Vet in answer to an enquiry I made re the treatment of Buns known to be in contact with an EC effected Bun. She says that she would prescribe A FULL 28 DAY COURSE of Panacur to all Rabbits. Some Vets are only prescribing a 9 day course for 'in contact buns'. The RWA Vet does not think this to be enough.

Janex

Totally agree with Jane. I've got exactly the same problem here with mine, as Dusty got a 28 day course and Clover only 9. :(

Isolating your Frenchie now is not going to make a difference. You do need to treat ALL the other Buns with PANACUR too. This is what your Vet is likely to prescribe for your Frenchie. Your Vet will no doubt explain about treating the in-contact Buns as the EC spores are excreted in the infected Buns wee.

I have just had an email from the RWA Vet in answer to an enquiry I made re the treatment of Buns known to be in contact with an EC effected Bun. She says that she would prescribe A FULL 28 DAY COURSE of Panacur to all Rabbits. Some Vets are only prescribing a 9 day course for 'in contact buns'. The RWA Vet does not think this to be enough.

Janex

I didnt even think that Beau hadnt been in contact with the other buns in the first place :lol: :oops: Ignore me :lol: My vet only prescribed the 9 day course but when Jane told me it should be the 28 day course I went back :D I wonder why they do that :?

Hi there,

could you possibly post the link to your original topic with the symptoms :wink: :D cannot seem to find anything with all the search facilities down :( frenchies are renown for watery eyes, have you considered a tear duct flush to make sure the sinus's are not blocked and an X ray to rule out tooth root probs :?: of course, without seeing the original posting with symptoms it is hard to say :wink: :)

Denny said:
Hi there,

could you possibly post the link to your original topic with the symptoms :wink: :D cannot seem to find anything with all the search facilities down :( frenchies are renown for watery eyes, have you considered a tear duct flush to make sure the sinus's are not blocked and an X ray to rule out tooth root probs :?: of course, without seeing the original posting with symptoms it is hard to say :wink: :)

If I remember the other thread correctly the eye has a cloudy white area around the lens with some uveitis. No discharge

Janex

flossys eye symptoms

Hi yes sure can give symptoms again...
her eye has developed a ruby tinge around the top half of her iris on the part which used to be a lovely grey brown colour. this has in turn led to a distortion of her pupil which now looks misshapen. there is no discharge.
my vet thinks this is probably ec and her eye is trying to fight the parasite and has recommended to treat her with pancur.
anyone have any idea of how much the 28 day course usually costs, just so i have some idea?

thank you all so much for the prompt responses my little buns mean the world to me so any info i can gather from others is always appreciated.

lucy x

Back