• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb and Medibed

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
In my latest GI stasis dramas, a vet (not one that I respect, I admit!) said to me today that Clover was obviously eating the megazorb, which could be clogging her up. Her words were 'this sort of thing isn't good for them'. ie megazorb. I've been using it in the litter trays.

So, on the way back with her I called in to a farm shop and grabbed some Medi Bed - was the only thing I could see that was remotely suitable for the litter trays. Is it OK???

And what do you all think about what the vet said about the megazorb?

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having, Sarah. :(

I've never used Megazorb, but we used to use Carefresh in Rosie's tray. Trouble is, she used to eat it, and any other cardboard she had access to. She had GI stasis a couple of times and our vet advised removing all the cardboard as it could be causing the problems. She has been fine since then. :)

We weren't sure what to use in her tray, but we've just been using hay, which actually works really well. I thought the tray might smell (as the Carefresh was good for absorbing odours) but it doesn't as it's cleaned out every day.

We use megazorb with our five and don't have any problems but one of my mum and dad's buns, Charlie, used to eat it. During this time he had a few gut problems nothing serious enough for a vet visit - thank god. But we did notice less poos and much smaller too for a couple of days. They've now changed back to the wood pellets as they were too worried.

I saw medibed this morning at our local animal food store so i woud be interested to know how it goes and other people's opinions.

Hope your little one is feeling better :D

:shock: I use Megazorb, I havent noticed any of mine eating it but Im panicking now that they are eating it at night!

I haven't had any problems with Megazorb and think it's wonderful stuff. I do put a piece of vetbed over it though but that is purely 'cos of Brody's arthirtis rather than stopping them nibbling it.

What is Medibed :?:

Edit after research...... Medibed is treated with citrus oil as an anti-eating agent. I thought rabbits shouldn't have citrus so what happens if it doesn't work for the purpose intended and gets nibbled :?

Thanks for your replies. Definitely lots to think about! I change the litter trays twice a day, but they do get a bit mucky, so I was hoping for something a bit more absorbant than hay, but really don't want to take any more chances, so may just fill them up with hay from now on...

I did wonder how safe Megazorb was for the bunnies with regards to them eating it. But its so absorbant and soooo econmical. :( I think I may go back to just hay and newspaper to be on the safe side, even though I really don't think my two are interested in eating it but then you just don't know, do you?? Typical!!!

Hmmm thats interesting about it possibly causing stasis as Audrey loves cardbaord- she eats carefresh and cardboard tubes :?

I have decided after this batch of carefresh has run out Im just going to use hay and newspaper. Have you tohught about using shredded paper Sarah? If you can get hold of it from work even better.

I know - I must admit, I am stunned to hear that they are eating it, as I hadn't realised at all. :( I don't think they are necessarily eating it on purpose - I think it gets caught up in the hay.

Have decided that you can't go wrong with good old hay! :)

mandy said:
Hmmm thats interesting about it possibly causing stasis as Audrey loves cardbaord- she eats carefresh and cardboard tubes :?

I have decided after this batch of carefresh has run out Im just going to use hay and newspaper. Have you tohught about using shredded paper Sarah? If you can get hold of it from work even better.

I don't know..... it probably isn't even the cause. :? When I think how much cardboard my mice eat and come to no harm! :shock: :lol:

Thats true, rabbits chew and nibble on lots of things. At the moment the lovely Lailey has been chewing on a plastic shoe holder thing I have stored under Jessica's cot, found all the nibbled bits on the floor when I hoovered yesterday!! And they nibble cardboard, and newspaper and pretty much anything they can get their little teeth into. But I thought Megazorb was safe for the bunnies but then again I suppose if they eat enough of anything that they should'nt, it could possibly build-up and cause a blockage. Except hay. Can never eat enough hay :D

I use shredded paper, then newspaper, followed by lots of hay in my trays. I change the trays twice a day and the paper seems to absorb the pee well.

Like others I havent had any problems using it. I use it for all the rabbits and guinea pigs here. I do however put lots of hay on top of it in the litter trays so dont know if that makes any difference?

Yeuch - I've just emptied the litter trays with just hay in. Not very absorbent - bleurgh! :shock:

Hmmm...interesting. I guess the difference between buns nibbling on other things, including cardboard, and nibbling on megazorb is that megazorb is designed to swell and absorb moisture, so I guess it potentially could affect the smooth operation of the buns intestinal tract if eaten :?

Seeings some of it has been noted in droppings I think you're quite right to play it safe and not use it - "if in doubt, keep it out" and all that.

Hope your buns are fine from now on, what a nightmare they have been for you!

A xx

Yes, I agree Sarah, hay isn't really absorbent :lol: and it's not the most pleasant of jobs changing the tray. It gives me peace of mind though, as I know there's nothing cardboardy in there that Rosie could eat. And she does munch away on the hay in her tray.

Obviously if your bun doesn't eat paper/cardboard, etc, there's no problem in using the products.

It's definitely helped her in my opinion - mind you, she was terrible for eating any box, cardboard tube, etc, we gave her. And she had loads of hay and toys, so it wasn's as if she'd nothing to occupy her.

And even if the products don't cause problems in themselves, they are bound to fill buns' tummies up a bit (the amount Rosie ate must have done anyway) so they may feel like eating less hay - which obviously is not good for all sorts of reasons.

Whatever you end up using, good luck :)

I use wood pellets in the indoor bunnies trays, and just woodshavings with hay on for the outdoor buns, no problems with that at all.

I did use carefresh when Daisy was spayed, but I didnt really like the texture of it

I use paper at the bottom fo the tray, a layer of woodshavings and then lots of hay. This works fine me and my buns :D I have used megazorb but really dont like the smell of it and I saw Joey eat some once :roll:

My lot have Megazorb mixed with wood shavings, coverd with hay in their litter trays. That seems to work OK.

However, with your Megazorb probs, you could try wood pellet type things. My friend gets hers from a horse feed merchant and it is quite cheap.

Back