• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im a bit upset

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
The rescue I got Beau from wont help me with the bonding :( I went up there on my lunch break to ask and the lady on reception said yes wait a minute and I will get our rabbit expert to come and give you some advice. I told her that I think Buu is being very territorial and asked could I pay to have them boarding there for a few days and could they bond them for me, plus I offered quite a big donation but she said no :( They dont do that. But I could have them boarded there seperatly :? She told me that I could bring them up to the rescue for 10 minutes everyday but I might aswell just be driving them round in my car for 10 minutes everyday, I think Buu needs longer away from home with him.

She just told me to disinfect everything which I have done and buy all new stuff which I have done. Then she said well if that doesnt work just keep them seperate :(

I dont really want to have them seperate, the reason I got Beau was so Buu wouldnt be alone and as they dont offer any sort of bonding services there I had no choice but to go and pick out a bunny and hope they got on.

I also asked at the vets if they knew of anyone who could help me out but they didnt.

I am going to keep on swapping their things once Buu is fully recovered from her spay and see if I can book another week or so off work soon to try the bonding again. I really hope Buu will accept him being in her home

oh no, that seems mean of them :(

Dont worry though, I'm sure it'll work out...I know you mentioned it before, but how do they behave when left together?

Maybe you could take a few days off work to supervise them on neutral territory if you are really worried? I know its scary, but its usually not as bad as you think- its just the bad bondings we end up going into on here :lol:

I know there are loads of bondings that go well and we only usually hear about the bad ones :lol:

They are fine at the vets or in the living room. But no matter how long they spend in the living room when they go back outside Buu isnt happy :lol: She is a bit of a stroppy girl :wink:

The living room is the only place I can really have them and the longest they have been in there before me putting them outside is a week. I will try again :D My cousin is coming to stay for a couple of weeks on monday while he finds a job :roll: So I will wait until he is gone :lol:

Im sure they will be fine Im just panicking now that I will have to find them both new friends and then they wont get on either because they dont have like a bunny dating service over here :oops: :lol:

Its mainly a cat and dog rescue I think because their expert on rabbits didnt seem to know that much about bonding and went away at one point to ask someone else what she should tell me

My two were really easy to bond. I was surpriesd because Smokey is very territorial and Inky can be a real grump!

I found that putting them together 'little and often' worked really well by the end of the week they were spending the night together. Try to do it on neutral territory and your idea of swapping toys is a good one.

I also set up their hutches so that they could see eachother.

Good luck, bonding is stressful but it is worth it in the end.

Im swapping hutches and runs and they can always see each other. Im also swapping litter trays and food bowls so hopefully she will get used to his scent being in her hutch by the time I try again :D

My other two were pretty much bonded in a day :lol:

can you swap trip and scarlet's accomodation. it doesn't matter if another rabbit's smell is in there as long as it's neutral to them?

Neil

Trip and Scarlett are in the 6ft happyhutch with the run underneath and I dont think its really big enough for Buu. She is quite big I really dont think she would have the room she needs in the hutch/run combo :D Buu has the 6ft happyhutch but it is inside a bigger run which she always has access to

Although Trip and Scarlett are both quite small so they are ok in the combo :wink:

Thanks though it is a good idea :D

Back