• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Bun with mucky bum

xEMMAx

Warren Veteran
Just come home from work for lunchbreak went to check on Abbi and she has done lots of squishy poos (some almost diarrhoea like) and has a very mucky bum. She was sitting on top of her carrier and not moving much. If I take her to vets will they be able to give me anything to help or will it just be a pointless trip?

Were in exactly the same position as you at the moment. Take a look at the photo in my post, are the poo's like that?

Spoke to our vet this morning and the first thing they asked was how much veg are we feeding, none was our reply. Our rabbit is eating hay and drinking as per normal and we suspect its diet related.

Have you changed your rabbits diet recently? is she eating/drinking okay? If in doubt call your vets for advice or take her in as rabbits can go down in 24 hours.

Hope it all turns out well for you.

Yeah just been reading through your thread! :)

They do look like that but without the liquid... although if she poops on an absorbant surface it makes a liquid ring round outside... and I just got some on slipper and trod on carpet and again, that left behind a patch of liquid :?

Gave her veg for first time a week ago, TINY bit of spring greens then 3 days ago tried her with carrot and for past two days been giving her about 3cm on carrot cut up and a little bit of spring greens. She's been absolutely fine with it, normal poos etc, but it's just today she's not done any solid poos.

She is hopping around a bit now, and has just had a drink and a munch of hay. She's still only a baby so am quite worried. Did exactly the same thing with Tia and James when they were babies and have never had this problem before :(

Thank you :)

the ring in that case could be mucus, since it sounds as though your quite worried, id give your vet a call to be on the safe side :)

How young is young? as general concensus seems to be that they shouldnt get veg at less than 12wks old

Just ready to go now... it's no appointment so would probably be quicker just going down there rather than ringing.

She's 12 weeks now. But I've always given my buns veg earlier than that before and not had problems. I think I remember reading that lionheads do tend to have more tum problems than other breeds :? Although not had any problems with my other lionhead *touch wood*

Thank you :D
Vet doesn't think it's anything too serious, he stuck a thermometer up her bum :shock: :shock: and her temperature was fine and gave her an injection of... something :? Gotta take her back on Monday for another one (sooner if she goes downhill) and he's given me a sachet of powder I have to mix with water to syringe feed her with :) And she's ONLY allowed hay... but she eats loads of hay anyway so that shouldn't be a problem!

glad you got on ok. Dukes gonna be off to the vet in the morning as his tummy still isnt right this evening.

Back