• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think one of my rabbits has been bred from.....(pics)

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Last year I had a bun who was pregnant and gave birth to three little kits. I rehomed them all and one went to a lady on the understanding he would be neutered and paired with her female bunny.....at the time I was only fostering a very few rabbits so I had no contracts.

Anyway I have just seen the lady advertising kits for sale claiming to be from a pair she has had from babies thinking they were both does. To my knowledge she only had two rabbits when she took Smudge meaning I believe Smudge to be the father and she is deliberatley lying about the origins of the babies. What should I/can I do?

U/D and she is trying to sell them as easter presents! :twisted:

Not sure you can do anything - it would be hard even if you DID have a contract. I think you can only put it down to experience and try to nueter/spey all future rabbits prior to rehoming. Sorry!

Not much you can do..except ring her and explain you are unhappy...do not rehome to her again..and neuter all bunnies before rehoming.

I neuter now but the bunny in question was an unwanted pet, who I still have. At the time I was literally just planning on keeping her and then she started to fill out :shock:

Since then I have started to foster and now have contracts, care sheets, home checks and neuter & worm. TBH I did the best i could with the knowledge I had at the time. It did introduce me to RR & RU though as I rehomed one of the kits through here:

Patch now called Floyd in his new home

31122006015.jpg

Smudge as a baby
12-10-06_0027.jpg

smudge1.jpg

sadly, as i found out with a dreadful situation with a bun i rehomed..(still think about you Joe :( )..
even contracts aren't binding in law....
if you want to be able to enforce your guidelines you would need to make your forms "lifetime foster" forms and make sure you never refer to the donation as a payment for the bunny..always a donation to the rescue.

would still be a legal battle but you are more likely to win it.

Yes I have a return clause for neglect and deliberate/irresponsible breeding (although as I neuter now its a bt redundant). We also ask for a minimum donation of £30, it specifically refers to donation and not price and me as the rescuer not seller etc.

Im so angry though. Fortunatley her ad has been slated by others for offering them as easter bunnies and has pointed out RR for rehoming.

I dont understand how is it so pointless? Why do people bother? if even a verbal contract is legally binding (although impossible to prove) surely a written one should be emforceable?

We are going to see if we can get the babies off her at least. A friend is enquiring for me. No idea how many there are though.... :?

Bothering to have adoption forms with return clauses is worht doing as most people will stand by the form..and they know the can return the bunny..but i found out..and sorry due to search being down i can't show you the thread...that they are not legally binding.
A lady adopted a bun from me then 2 weeks later gave him away to a 10 year old to live on his own..all against my contrtact..i had spent over 2 hours at her house checking and going through everything...
when i said the bun had to be returned to me..she said no your contract isn't worth the paper it's written on :cry: ..after taking legal advice and speaking to the RSPCA i found out this is true..
believe me i was shocked and disheartened.

Oh dear. Well if i can at least help the babies it will go someway towards redeeming myself. I wish i could get Smudge back though :(

Gawd, I thought they were legally binding! I send out a questionaire first to adopters asking if they are willing to sign a legally binding contract!!! Oh well, so long as they belive it I guess :?
Also, as to the original post, I would, if I knew their address, go and nick them if they were outside :D If you feel bad, neuter the buck then put him back. I *might* have done this before!

im in a similar situation at the time my Crystal had 5 unplanned babies when i rehomed them i had no experience or knoledge with baby buns and rehoming and i ended up just handing them to anyone... of course i regret this now :( 2 of my buns both males went to a farm.... the woman who got them said she was an ex breeder (i actually believe she still breeds rabbits but i was dumb and stupid at the time and believed everything she said) and another of the babies went by himself as a rabbit in a nursery... i mean come on surely i would have had some sense to not let a nursery have a rabbit for all the little 2 year olds to manhandle it... so in reality i think i gave the babies away to possibly the worst homes ever! but if i ever find myself in a situation where i have babies to rehome i will be doing homechecks and neutering and will find them the best homes going ;)... you learn by your mistakes.

I've been there too :(

Am currently fighting the family that keep breeding from the brother and sister buns to get them back :(

Crystal butterfly I wouldn't worry too much about giving a rabbit to a nursery, they are usually very good with their animals, who have reasnoable size cages and loads of things to look at, and the bun will quickly get used to sitting on a teachers lap and having a child pat it. I have worked in loads of nurseries, and there is always someone that takes the nursery pet home at weekends. They even look forward to their favorite kids comming in, the ones that have a little apple in their pokets! I know its not the best place for a bun, but its not the worst by far.

Back