• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - I think Misa has snuffles

raven_guest

Mama Doe
A few days ago she was sneezing like mad for a few minutes but seemed ot be ok once she'd cleared whatever it was out of her nose (it was yukky) but today her nose seems to be running and she seems quite out of it. I'm going to ring the vet later and get her an appointment (they're not open yet) but does anyone know much more about snuffles? I know it's pasturella or something but all my books are quite different, some say it's deadly, some say it isn't.
Unfortunately she's always been very freerange, she gets run of the garden all the time and is always near the other rabbits so there is no point in quarentining her as it would be too late, help!

I know a few rabbits who have had snuffles and continued to live a good life :) I think the thing is to treat the symptoms but i dont think there is any cure as such.. usually I think they have antibiotics and if their nose is very runny there is medication that helps to dry the secretions up. There are a few people on here with rabbits who have been diagnosed with snuffles... hope the vet can help her.

Please take her to the vet.
The vet will do a smear test to find out what kind of virus causes the snuffles. Usually the bun will get antibiotics.
Snuffles are more dangerous for rabbits than for humans - so please do not take it lightly.

I realise it's serious, I'm worried about the other buns too, I don't suppose there is any kind of preventative treatment is there for my other buns (apart from cleaning everything Misa's touched etc)

Back