• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Does One Do......

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
......when you become aware of a Bun who is not in the best of health and whom you feel you could help but you are already full to capacity. When taking him on would mean that initially he would have to be in a 4ft dog crate most of the time

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Janex

If the bun did not have a chance of finding a good home, and I could help him and make a poissiitive difference to his life I would definitely take him :)

Of course, you have to make sure that you doing the right thing for you and your other buns too. But I know that you will consider all of these things and make the right decision :thumb:

I would look at other ways to help. There are lots of bunnies in bad situations, trouble often starts when good people take on more than they can care for and just squeeze one in. Help improve the situation, if it's that bad report it to the RSPCA or help find the bun a rescue place.

Tam

Well, any bunny that has a chance to be looked after by you Jane is a very fortunate bunny, with the excellent care that you give bunnies, I'm sure he will do much better with you even if he stays in a crate for a while. AAahhhhh xxx

Jack's-Jane said:
......when you become aware of a Bun who is not in the best of health and whom you feel you could help but you are already full to capacity.

It is a brave and very wise person who recognises that they can do no more and then goes on to do just that - no more than one can cope with!

jane, when i first took my rexes they all had to live in dog crates, some of them 3 footers :oops: but what could i do, the other option was to leave them there. BUT the crates were still bigger than what they were living in and clean and dry.
its not what i was happy with, but much better than they had before and it wasnt long before i sorted something else out.
judge it by how the bun is living now to your crate, not how you would ideally keep the bun. i bet the crate is a better option than what the bun has now?

but, and i have found this very hard, the time does come when you do have to admit to yourself that you simply cant squeeze one more in :(
i have my 6 and unless it was a temporary arrangement, that is the number i am staying with as they are just the right sized group for my bunnyhouse :D
are there any other ways of helping said bun? are you able to help said bun without risking burnout? you have been through and awful lot recently and there is no shame what so ever in deciding that you are not going to take him in, i am sure one of us lot would be able to help out :wink:
having said all that, if you do help the little might then yes i would be fine about using the crate as a temporary measure :wink:
good luck hun, i hope it all turns out alright for mr bun :D xxx

I would take him in and give him lots of love and cuddles, a warm bed and most of all safety!!

But that's me!! :shock: :shock:

I agree with colliewoman and Tamsin, if you think you can offer him better than he has right now and can bring yourself to rehome him in the future when he's in better health then why not. BUT you don't want to end up taking 'just one more' this week and 'just one more' next week and finding it's too much for you personally. And the more you take in the less space the others have. So only you know your situation and the buns situation

If it were me I'd probably take him in, get him to health and rehome him - perhaps if you started to rehome through RU and rescues you could continue to help buns in need without it being a longterm committment for you and your own buns

Back