• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

OMG now Clover has GI stasis U/D home from the vets

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
3 weeks ago I had a nightmare with Dusty going into stasis (3rd time in a year). Well, now Clover has too - her 2nd time in a year.

Went to the vets this morning with a guinea pig and had to go back tonight with Clover! She has prepulsid, metoclop and metacam.

This is getting worryingly routine!! Still very scary though...

Thanks. :) She's laying on the husband's lap at the moment, after having her Prepulsid. She's nibbled on some hay, a few pellets, a couple of dandelion leaves and a couple of blades of grass. No poo as yet, but a very cuddly bunny.

She only had 9 days of the Panacur, whereas Dusty is on a 28 day course in case EC was what caused her stasis. Do you think this might be the problem?? :? I have to know what is going on - can't just keep going through all this stress!! :cry: Hoping it isn't teeth, but she last had stasis in about May last year. Seems such a coincedence that her and Dusty tend to have their stasis at a similar time (although Dusty has had an extra bout). This fits with the vet's theory of EC flaring up. :?

aawww i hope Clover feels better really soon. It is a bit strange.. maybe it is when it starts to get warmer? Or when they are moulting?

:( oh no poor thing..poor you..
I have to say Bifs was her stress etc but alos the fact the other vets hadnt been doing her dentals properly..this vet burrs down the side thats bad and any weeny ones on the other side or they grow and its odd sided causing more dental probs.
Bif is at the lowest tire still of beng positve for EC..and i have got to get some more panacur as berties a lot bigger..ive just advantaged them all inc the kittens i have..now back for more panacur!
thats so weird saying its a sign of EC flare ups..makes me wonder bout poor old oscar..was that his prob too as weel as the stress when my cat died then i lost her mummy and then my dad..would explaing partly why bif got sick when he did last time togehter and then got stasis after that so many times..
shes been clear along time now but yesterday in garden freaked her out and today the poos are smaller..luckily we have one tube of fibreplex left int he house..2moro im dosingher with that..and the kittens with drontal pills..i wont have nay skin left! :lol:
wish there was more to find out about gi stasis and how to treat it each time..each boyut is so different to other buns bouts..its a trciky one. i wish you all the best.

Things aren't great this morning. Still no poo and not interested in food anymore. :( Have syringe fed critical care.

I'm in a bit of a quandry, as I couldn't see my normal vet (who I rate), and the other vet has prescribed much lower doses than I was giving Dusty last time (similar size - probably slightly smaller). I was giving Dusty 2 ml of both Prepulsid and Metoclop, but the vet has prescribed 1 ml Prepulsid and 0.5 ml Metoclop.

What do you think??

Nightmare this morning, as I've really got to get to work!!! :( Should be able to bring some work home for this afternoon.

BTW: the more I think about it, I am sure there is something contagious going on (and therefore the EC is an obvious possible culprit). Last time Clover had stasis it was about 10 days after Dusty. This time it is approx 3 weeks.

SarahP said:
Things aren't great this morning. Still no poo and not interested in food anymore. :( Have syringe fed critical care.

I'm in a bit of a quandry, as I couldn't see my normal vet (who I rate), and the other vet has prescribed much lower doses than I was giving Dusty last time (similar size - probably slightly smaller). I was giving Dusty 2 ml of both Prepulsid and Metoclop, but the vet has prescribed 1 ml Prepulsid and 0.5 ml Metoclop.

What do you think??

Nightmare this morning, as I've really got to get to work!!! :( Should be able to bring some work home for this afternoon.

BTW: the more I think about it, I am sure there is something contagious going on (and therefore the EC is an obvious possible culprit). Last time Clover had stasis it was about 10 days after Dusty. This time it is approx 3 weeks.

Oh no Sarah, more worry for you :cry:

I wonder if you could drop Clover off at the Vets on your way to work :?
As her guts aren't working she may not absorb oral meds. If the Vets can keep her in today they could give her meds via injection and maybe put her on a drip to ensure she does not get dehydrated.

I really hope Clover feels better soon

Janex

Right... update is that Clover has eating a few sprigs of flat leaf parsley and coriander. No poo though. :( About to try to syringe some more meds down her, along with more water. Am so tempted to go for 2 mls of the prepulsid and the metoclop, which is what Dusty had. Might play it safe at 1.5 ml of each (she was prescribed 0.5 ml metoclop and 1 ml prepulsid). My usual knowledgeable vet isn't there, so I've seen someone who really doesn't know a lot about bunnies. Have checked online, and the dosage for metoclop for a bunny of her size (2.25 kg) is just over 1 ml).

Played it safe and went for the dosage I found on the internet for metoclop - 1.1 ml. And 1 ml prepulsid. Really don't think it's enough though.

One more thing - how much water should I be trying to get into her and how often?? Thanks v much. :)

Going back to vets. Can't stop crying through stress and sheer frustration!!! I know this is the wrong time to be thinking this, but I swear I will never take on another rabbit again. I love them to bits (or I wouldn't be so upset), but I have never known such high maintenance animals (and I have guinea pigs and mice). :cry:

Oh Sarah. :( Sorry you are having such a bad time. Thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed for Clover. Any update yet?

Thanks v much - am a bit calmer now! Just got to make myself a lovely cuppa and everything will be OK! :wink:

Just got back from the vets, and I've left her in. Was none too impressed with the vet I saw (how dare my normal vet go on holiday?!), and I basically told her what I wanted her to do (told her she was dehydrated etc), queried the dose of the meds etc. Anyway, she's still in the best place there - better than her laying around here with me pacing around like a stressed lunatic, anyway! :roll:

It occurred to me how good vet receptionists are today. The girl on reception knew who I was when I phoned without me even saying my name (never a good sign! :lol: ) and I realised that whenever I speak to her I'm all stressed and 'IT'S AN EMERGENCY!!!' etc, and have resolved to be nicer to her from now on! :lol:

Oh no Sarah how frustrating :shock: I hope Clover gets over this nice and quickly. There is definitely something very strange going on. You don't suppose it could be something like she's been stressed at being away from her sister which has caused it??

Back