• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Natural Remedies

Daisy Pants

Young Bun
Hi All, I'm new to this so apologies if that already been discussed. :oops:

On Monday I was told my beautiful bun either had a tumour or an upward growing molar - either way prognosis not good. We got her from a 'freecycle' website and have no idea how old she, we have had her a year but want her for many more..

After lots of tears, we decided to have her xrayed and its actually an abscess which we are now treating. I've researched LOTS and have found some great sites for natural/holistic/herbal help on rabit care.. whether they work or not I don't know..

My question is.. do you know of any natural leaves/herbs/plants that can help her little body fight an abcess?

PS Nice to see so many great Mums/Dads on this forum if only all rabbits were fortunate enough to have people care about them that much.. :D

You might want to try the following links where you might get some more constructive replies.

Galens Garden is a great site with lots of useful information and I believe that it now has a forum but I have not visited for ages! Email Belinda, the owner and she will give you honest advice :)

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/homoeopathy/index.php

Another one is a (once) great list but sadly very slow now but still with some very experienced and helpful people and that is the Yahoo group "Herbal Rabbit"

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HerbalRabbit/?yguid=37231894

Sorry that I could not be of further help. It may be that your search will be to no avail but at least you will have tried and that is what matters.... :D

Luck!

Bun_Man said:
You might want to try the following links where you might get some more constructive replies.

Sorry I was obviously of no help, I am not against complimentary treatments but wanted to highlight the legal situation re their use :)

Janex

Treatment by acupuncture, aromatherapy, homoeopathy or other complementary therapy may only be administered by a veterinary surgeon who should have undergone training in these procedures. At present, it is illegal for them to be given by practitioners who are not veterinary surgeons.

I think jane was just pointing out that unless you are qualified in that field it is very unwise to recommend anything (herbs as a medical treatment) as its possible to get into very deep water.

E.g. we have to be very careful on our site how we describe the products, that is why we only sell them as treat herbs. google will tell you what they can and are used for.

Jack's-Jane said:
Sorry I was obviously of no help, I am not against complimentary treatments but wanted to highlight the legal situation re their use :)

Janex

I sound like a right old git here again!

However are you sure that the ref you gave us referred to the legal use of complimentary treatments? I don't think that it did.

It is one thing to provide help and advice, it is another to provide false and misleading advice no matter how "loosely" you frame it and IMO that is exactly what you have done in this instance.

Bunnybasics said:
Treatment by acupuncture, aromatherapy, homoeopathy or other complementary therapy may only be administered by a veterinary surgeon who should have undergone training in these procedures. At present, it is illegal for them to be given by practitioners who are not veterinary surgeons.

I think jane was just pointing out that unless you are qualified in that field it is very unwise to recommend anything (herbs as a medical treatment) as its possible to get into very deep water.

E.g. we have to be very careful on our site how we describe the products, that is why we only sell them as treat herbs. google will tell you what they can and are used for.

And how many vets are qualified in homeopathic treatments or many others that exist?

Indeed on that premise we could roll back the years and the web and go back to the days when vets only knew that rabbits got shot and appeared on the table as food!!

Hey Ho, ban all forums relating to rabbit health!

The lady was simply asking for help in a natural and holistic way..... She did not deserve the reply she got......

I was only trying to highlight this part from the RCVS site

'' Treatment by acupuncture, aromatherapy, homoeopathy or other complementary therapy may only be administered by a veterinary surgeon who should have undergone training in these procedures. At present, it is illegal for them to be given by practitioners who are not veterinary surgeons.''

ie point '2' in the link I posted :) If you think I am against complimentary treatments you are VERY wrong :) My Vet is a qualified Veterinary Accupuncturist and uses several 'natural' treatments in conjunction with conventional medications.
The reason I posted the link was merely to ensure the OP sought advice from a suitably qualified Vet :)

I appologise TO THE OP if my response gave the wrong impression. Although as yet SHE has not indicated that it did..... :?

Anyway Bun-Man, I dont think you're a miserable old git!! :lol: But you do appear to have interpreted my post wrong here

Janex :D

Thanks Bun Man - That's perfect.. just what I was looking for :D I think a bit of natural assistance in preventing reinfection can only be good!

Back