• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NEED ADVICE: bit of a dilema!

cheekytikki

Wise Old Thumper
just been on the dog walk and just round the corner from me a sign has appeared

'bunny rabbits, £1 to a good home (must be 16+ )'

so do i ignore this sign and keep telling myself that they wont become some little kids easter pressie or do i try and persuade the parents to let me take them in (would need to get my a**e in gear about accomidation) and either find them proper 'good homes' (dont know if i would be able to neuter them all to rehome as i only get £45 a week but i suppose if i saved up... ) or the 'biggy' do i try and persuade parents to let me have them have them. obviously i have no idea how many 'bunny rabbits' are for sale. but how many would fit comfortably in a 7ft x 7 1/2ft room with access to a small landing during the day, or is the maximum for that space 2 and if i was allowed permission (and there is basically a 0% chance of that but if my parents in a moment of madness said yes) would my 2 bond with babies?

obviously if i found out these people were interested in breeding their buns again i would walk immediately.

poor poor bunnies i know that really i should just ignore the ad but i feel so sorry for them as it is so close to easter and i really think they will become a present for a child :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi Abi,

I personally, would have to go and have a look and see how many bunnies there were, and what conditions they were in.

I'd take in them in, then rehome them on here. Like you say, no doubt for £1 each they will end up as easter pressies, snake food or stuck in a tiny hutch after the child has 'gone off it' :evil:

JMO though :D

will have a chat with mum and dad tonight, not sure what i would do about accomodation though as atm i only have the big cage in my room, or a very small 3ft cage (i also cant put them in the garden) so i would need to make some emergency housing in the soon to be rabbit room with argos cubes (so i suppose it is 'do-able') i just know i wont be able to sleep tonight thinking about them :cry:

just spoken to mum and she said she's not keen on me having any more buns :cry: she said that if i could find someone to take them she wouldnt mind me having them until the weekend but thats it....(of course still would need to get past dad! :shock: ) :cry:

I would go and investigate first and see what the situation is...

If need be, post on here and im sure someone could help out

Poor bunnies :cry:

nope the ad literally says
bunny rabbits, £1 each must be 16+ then has the phone number and kids drawings of bunnies over the poster :cry: might be tempted to ring just to get more details

Chances are if they are selling for £1 they are an accidental litter and they are not selling to make money.

I would go and see them about it and just make sure they are aware that they can hand them in to a rescue rather than sell them for £1 and risk them being used for animal feed or just being totally abused.

I would go and see them, see the conditions etc and take it from there. Maybe take some information on RR and how unscrupulous people could buy them for snake food etc. It would depend on the people, most 'normal' people would want to find a reasonably good home and it could be that by advertising them for only £1 they're thinking they've got more chance of finding a home for them without realising the downside. They might be perfectly happy to put them on RR or RU. I personally wouldn't take them in as you don't have enough money coming in to neuter and vaccinate them all

On the other hand the conditions could be terrible and the rspca might be able to help

Ruth81 said:
Hi Abi,

I'd take in them in, then rehome them on here. Like you say, no doubt for £1 each they will end up as easter pressies, snake food or stuck in a tiny hutch after the child has 'gone off it' :evil:

Offering them on here is not a guaranteed rehome as the majority of people on here have reached saturation point (or gone over) or are just individuals that have the rabbits welfare at heart without wishing to increase their numbers.
Abi, I would visit them and get the facts and suggest RR. Once you've met them you will know why these buns have become available but you have to be very careful to
a. not get in over your head (which I don't think you will)
and
b. reward the backstreet breeder if thats what this is (again I know that you don't want to do that).

Good luck

Just had a thought, the devil in me says I would put up an adjacent sign listing the cost of caring for the buns.. vaccinations £15, hutch and run £xxx, vet bills £xxx etc.

Hopefully this would put anyboy off thinking they were getting a mega cheap pet

will hopefully ring the number (but probably tomorrow, need to work up the courage first :oops: ) will find out age, size, how many etc and possib;y arrange to view them. will def suggest RR or rescue centres and tell them that there is a risk someone might but them as snake food. if i could foster them for a little while i can make a decent sized pen as i have a whiole box of argos cubes and 2 boxes of similar cubes (16 pcs per box, they are a wire square frame covered in a very thick plastic)

will keep you updated on anything that happens :)

luvabun said:
Ruth81 said:
Hi Abi,

Offering them on here is not a guaranteed rehome as the majority of people on here have reached saturation point (or gone over) or are just individuals that have the rabbits welfare at heart without wishing to increase their numbers.
Abi, I would visit them and get the facts and suggest RR. Once you've met them you will know why these buns have become available but you have to be very careful to
a. not get in over your head (which I don't think you will)
and
b. reward the backstreet breeder if thats what this is (again I know that you don't want to do that).

Good luck

I did mean put them on the rehome site - not personally on this forum - surely thats what RR is for? :?

You could always just call a local rabbit rescue and give them the number to call and that way they can decide from talking to the owners whether to take the buns or not. Also saves you being the middle man. 8)

I'm sure they'll be really glad you took the initiative to do something about it where as most people wouldn't want to be bothered.
good luck

Back