• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating properly post op

thehappypixi

Warren Scout
As some of you may have read, Humpys eye was removed on Tuesday.
He is not eating his dry food or hay, all I can tempt him with is finely chopped apple and corriander. He will drink water from a bowl and have syringed some carrot and potato mash. I'm worried though! This isn't good. What else can I feed him? If I take him back what are they likely to do? Can they do anything? It must be really painful to eat is all I can think.
He had pooped and weed yesterday but can only see wee this morning.

It's very early days for him yet, so you can syringe feed him with Science Recovery or Critical Care which has all the fibre and vitamins that he needs to help him recover. It will also keep his guts in an ok condition by adding fibre, rather than feeding other stuff that his tum isn't used to. It took Alice over a week to begin eating by herself and probably around three weeks before she was back to normal eating.

This is a very big op for Humpy and you'll need to nurse him for a while, but once he's feeling better he'll be right as rain!

You could try getting lots of lovely veg, such as spinach, watercress and rocket and loads of different herbs and overload his senses so he just has to have a nibble. These types of veg will be much better for Humpy rather than potato and carrot whilst he's recovering.

No. I'm thinking of taking him back to the vet for drugs.
The science recovery stuff sounds good, where do you get it? I have made him some food in the liquidiser with his normal burgess stuff, some dried grass plus fruits and veg. He had a litle lick but had to syringe more into him. He's not enjoying my company at the mo!

Your vet should be able to supply the Recovery sachets, or they may stock critical care. You could also ask for something called Fibreplex, it's a fibre and probiotic paste that buns love the taste of as it's carrot flavoured. This will keep his tum bacteria in good condition whilst he's not eating.

Other tricks I used were blending the veg like you have done, but to add a few porridge oats mixed with a bit of water. Alice used to go mad for these and she would eat the other bits of food to get to the oats! :D
Blending the food a bit also releases all the yummy smells.

One other thing to try as well as the painkiller than Jane suggested would be to ask the vet for a gut motility injection such as Metaclopromide. However, I would also suggest the reason for Humpy's reluctance to eat will be that he's in pain. I'm sure it must be a painful thing for anyone to go through, so please ask the vet for something.

Please let us know how you get on with Humpy. It was a struggle with Alice to get her eating again, she slept in a box beside my bed for a week after the op so I could syringe feed her during the night too. It's definately worth the sleepless nights if you can manage to keep her going through the first week or so.

Well, I've had my first sleepless night. Humpy was so apathetic last night, like he was giving up. I was sure he wasn't going to be here in the morning, but he is. Still worryingly lythargic. The painkillers don't seem to have made a difference yet, I'm syringing the science recovery every hour or so although getting him to swallow it means using the tinyest syringe to get it to the back of his mouth. Wish I could just say 'come on Humpy! don't give in on me!!'
I have two lots of people coming for buns today, am going to have to try and pull myself together :?

Hi there,

Don't lose hope. Alice was exactly the same, she hardly moved for the first week. I really believe that if you stay strong it will help Humpy get through it. Keep encouraging him and talking to him, the syringing will help as will the painkillers. Not sure what causes the lethargy but I think they may feel a bit dizzy and disorintated for a few days because they obviously don't know what's happened to them.

Please keep us updated and you know where we are if you need anything. Good luck and we're sending Humpy get well vibes too.

Gemma xx

Thank you :) You give me hope! I'm not sure if maybe I'm keeping him too warm? He is in the living room and the heating is on constant, it's cold up North still. He's on the sofa at the mo, on a towel, but wherever he sit's he stretches out like when he's sunbathing. But, his ears feel cool?

Glad to be of help! :D

It's probably an idea to keep him warm but not too warm. I have no idea what is too warm for a bunny, but I would suggest he's better off being warm rather than cold. If he's stretching out to flatten his tummy, it may be that he's got a bit of a gassy sore tum. Maybe you could try some Infacol and gentle tummy rubs, it won't do any harm and he'll probably like the extra attention.

Gemma xx

Just taken him back to the vet. They're keeping him till 6 when they'll call and tell me how he's doing. He may need to stay at the emergency vets over the weekend which will be about £150.
His stomach is bloated and gurgley, his temp has dropped and his he's dehydrated. I'm in tears already and can't see the screen.

I'm sure Humpy will be fine. His tummy will be sore if he hasn't eaten properly for a while and you can get into a vicious circle of them having a sore tummy, so they don't eat, tummy gets more sore and bunny gets weaker. The vet will probably give him some fluids which will help and as long as some food goes in to keep his guts ticking over and he has some decent pain relief...and metaclopromide to get his guts moving again he should get through it.

It's definately not an easy time, but stay strong for Humpy, he's had a nasty experience so its bound to take a while to get through it.

If you would prefer him to be at home with you, you could ask the vet if they could show you how to inject him. That way you'll be able to give his meds and he'll be at home.

Please let us know how he gets on. I'll be thinking of you and Humpy. Wishing him all the get well wishes in the world.

Gemma xx

He's not good. I was advised to take him to the emergency vet over night. He's on a drip. He's getting worse, I, can't string a sentence together.
I don't think he's coming home. I can't stop crying.

Oh Antonia, I'm sorry to hear the news isn't great :(
Positive vibes for Humpy XXXX
Thinking of you Antonia xx

My bun had stasis and the vet kept him in late one night when I took him as an emergency. He was dehydrated and was put on a drip all night. He was hardly moving, but survived. So I am sending you lots of positive vibes. Thet can so surprise you sometimes. Pam

Thank you all. I can't sleep.
The vet phoned me an hour ago as I'd asked to be kept informed. It is possible he'll slip away over night but at the moment they're holding out having him pts (which I'd ask they do if it were at the point his suffering were unnessecary).
I will be rolling around until 8.30 when I will hear how he's done through the night.
All of your good wishes are much appreciated. It is reassuring to know there is a group of people who can empathise with the feeling of total helplessness and fear this kind of situation brings.

Back