• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too fly or not to fly

Elmolicious

Warren Scout
i have to go to england for 2-3 months in the summer holidays and i really dont have anyother choice but to take Elmo (the rabbit) with me. what advice do you have to make the journey comfortable for him???

Cait

Sorry but please do not ask the vet for tranquilsers as they are the biggest cause of death in flight for animals :cry: (It's something to do with the combination of the lowered heart rate and the reduced oxygen in the planes).

I work for an airline and we refuse animals for travel when they have been sedated (following the advice from the Animal Reception Centre).

This is presuming you are travelling by air.
There's a whole heap of regulations you need to check out due to the anti rabies laws here. Check the DEFRA website. Not much point you coming here fro 2-3 months and Elmo going into quarantine for 6 months :roll:

We had a gorgoeus French lop fly out about 6 months ago... obviously well loved and a lovely natured bun. The cage wasn't suitable so I quickly had to go shopping for one that conformed to regulations (and got it some Vetbed too to make it comfy for the flight).

I wouldn't put my buns through it though but that's just me :roll:

Your rabbit would much much prefer the ferry (you can go from Gothenburg to Newcastle) in my opinion and experience of taking rabbits to the Isle of Man.

i would prefer to drive with him but...i am going alone. i hate boats and newcastle is so far away from where i live. it would be harder and longer trying to go buy boat. plus there is no-one to take me. everyone will be in england already! :( i dont want to fly him but i cant leave him for 2 - 3 months. he would probably forget me.

If it's only for 2-3 months I personally would leave him in the care of someone you trust. If you were coming back permanently then I'd bring him back obviously but why put him through the stress of a flight there and back for only a couple of months, he won't mind imo as long as he's getting appropriate care

Back